Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Dean

Luckenbach, TX

If things go as planned I'll have a trip report in the not so distant future. A coworker Scott and I will be riding south looking for good weather. Passing through the Ozarks but not doing it justice, eastern OK, south to Nacogdoches, TX, west through TX to the Hill Country. Hill Country should be in wildflower bloom, Luckenbach just because, Twisted Sisters Roads, Big Bend Nat'l Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, onward through New Mexico and CO, NE sandhills on the return. Texas BBQ for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Last year I hooked Scott up with my neighbor that had 2 BMW's and wasn't really riding his 2015 R1250RS so Scott now owns that. Camping whenever we can make it work. I've been all over CO so not sure how much we'll get to take in there, depends how we're doing on time.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Kyle

Sounds fun!
Scott should enjoy the RS, it works good for this old guy.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Greg

Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to the ride reports.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:43 AM
Bill (Webmaster)

That is going to be a great trip.

Sparky_Bill
Old 05-12-2021, 10:03 AM
Dean

Made it back. 4400 miles, 11 days. The only freeway miles were from home to Des Moines, then a few miles here and there in Texas. Everywhere else the roads were the smallest we could find that were paved and move us along in a reasonable time.

Tracker link: https://share.garmin.com/LuckenbachTX

It was a super fun trip. Texas has way more mountains, great scenery and nice roads than you might expect. Would I do it again? YES. The wildflowers were in bloom in the Texas Hill country. Temps were everywhere from 100° at the Rio Grande river in Big Bend National Park to 35°F in Colorado, yuck.

Top 3 things that are worth riding: 1) Talamena scenic byway from Mena, AR to Talihina, OK. Wow that is impressive. A lot like the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fantastic scenery with no sign of human presence expect for the road itself. 2) Texas Hill Country, all of it. Including the Twisted Sisters Roads and the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg. Luckenbach is a fun place to see. 3) Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in SW Texas. Really nice scenery and roads. Early May was a great time to be there.

I left home with a rear tire that I thought would be fine, but it crapped out. I was lucky to get a replacement tire in Del Rio, TX with minimal down time.

A few random photos attached.

Learned: It's way easier to plan a route on google maps, "share" it by emailing it to yourself, then follow it using phone GPS with turn by turn directions into your helmet. Or just build the day's route right on your phone and hit go. If you are in the middle of a route your phone gps won't let you "Start", so delete the waypoints that are behind you. I don't even bother with routes on a Garmin gps because Garmin gps will mess up your planned route if you deviate. But I use the Garmin just to see the roads as I'm riding and to see where next gas might be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	6577  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	6578  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210505_113139275_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	6579  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	6580  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	6582  

Last edited by stillsteamn; 05-12-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 PM
Kyle

Very cool Dean!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:17 PM
John

Great pics and story Dean!

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.