Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Write To Ride

Write To Ride Sometimes to protect our right to ride we must write our politicians.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

We Use These Roads - VoteYesMN

Minnesotans currently pay a motor vehicle sales tax when they purchase a new or used car or truck in Minnesota.

In 1981, the Legislature passed a law dedicating all motor vehicle sales tax revenue to highways and transit. However, for 25 years some (or all) of this money has been diverted away from transportation to pay for other state programs. More than $6 billion in motor vehicle sales tax revenue has been used for non-transportation purposes in this time.

Currently, only 54 percent of the existing motor vehicle sales tax revenue is being spent on transportation and there is no dedicated revenue source for public transit. If the Transportation Amendment is approved by voters, 100 percent of the revenue will go to highways and public transit. More than $300 million per year in additional revenue will be available for Minnesota’s roads, bridges and transit, without raising taxes. The phase-in of the revenue will occur over five years, beginning in 2007 with the full 100 percent dedication in place by 2012.

More info at www.voteyesmn.org
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Cattletrkr

Is it possible to post a poll with this thread. Count me in as an emphatic "Hell Yes!!!!".

Does anyone else find it somewhat sleazy that certain construction companies have "Vote Yes" signs out front? I'm all for the ammendment, but support from Cemstone and others just makes it look underhanded.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Lee (MN)

The problem I have with this proposition is the wording

A maximun of 60 % will be spent on roads and a minimum of 40% on mass transit. The whole thing depends on how much we can trust the legislature.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Al (MN)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06shooter View Post
The problem I have with this proposition is the wording

A maximun of 60 % will be spent on roads and a minimum of 40% on mass transit. The whole thing depends on how much we can trust the legislature.
Shooter I agree 100%, it really does depend on if we can trust the legislature. The key words here are "maximum and minimum" the way it reads, if the legislature wants to spend 100% on mass transit and 0% on roads, where do we stand....er, um, I mean ride? More research needs to be done on this one.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Doug (MN)

I Voted Yes, and it looks like it passed. I wish they didn't have to phase it in over the next seven years though, there are some really bad roads around the state. Anyone know why the vehicle tax that was intended for road maintainance was put to other uses in the first place??
Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
IAnyone know why the vehicle tax that was intended for road maintainance was put to other uses in the first place??
It's kind of like Social Security and Medicare - In theory they take all of the money and it goes into a big pot, then the accountants are supposed to make sure that whatever goes in, gets spent on its intended purpose.

The problem arises when politicians see a big pot of money, they forget the reason it's there and decide they need to fund a museum for corn paintings in Otsego instead of the road repair/construction it was meant to be for.