Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Dean

June 21-23 Good Old Potosi moto-camping

Those that aren't headed to Alaska for the longest day of the year, consider heading down to Potosi, WI for a Good Old Potosi beer at the Potosi brewery. It's a cool old building with a glass panel showing the stream running under the building. JSpudz and I will be leaving Fri June 21 morning and camping at the Grant River Recreation Area in the Mississippi River about 2 miles from the Potosi brewery (loud trains do go past this campground at night!) ;>( Coming into Dubuque, IA from the north on Hwy 52 is pretty darn scenic, too. This ain't the Iowa that everyone thinks of. I also see a Great River Road/Balltown Road leading down into Dubuque that I've never been on but it looks super curvy.

Good food at the Potosi brewery and it's close enough to the campground to make it if you enjoy your Potosi's. I'll be leading the ride on some of the roads I found. Nothing will be pre-ridden so there could be navigation re-do's required along the way.

Last year I found really great paved agricultural roads between Potosi, WI and Savanna, Ill, through the Galena, Ill area. Roads that are a lot like the WI ABC roads, maybe even better. Hilly, curvy, no gravel. Maybe change camping spots to Mississippi Palisades State Park near Savanna, Ill the 2nd night, or maybe return to Potosi.

If camping is not your thing I'm sure there are places to stay. Dubuque is pretty close by, Savanna, Ill. If you want to try this area on your own, in Savanna, Ill take Clay Street east up the steep hill then follow North 5th Street and the Scenic Ridge Road north, and just keep staying on the "good" roads as you head north towards Potosi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_200427.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	6493  

Last edited by stillsteamn; 04-11-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Mike

Heading south on the Great River Road thru Balltown is awesome, and be sure to stop at Pikes Peak State Park.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Dean

Thanks, Gibby. On the way down I like to beat cheeks down to Hwy 16 and go through Lanesboro over to Houston, then Cty Road 4 south of Houston is nice and curvy and comes out at Spring Grove. We also might stretch this trip an extra day and return home Monday.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Terry

Savanna Illinois has a large biker bar called Poopies. Dave Freese and myself rode up from Savanna to the Dubuque and then home the next day. Beautiful scenery.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Dean

Yeah, I stopped at Poopies last year. Got a picture of the bike right out in front.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Dean

3 of us made the run down to Dubuque, Galena, and Savanna. There are a lot of really nice side roads starting with the WI ABC roads over to Mindoro, and similar roads all the way down to Savanna. The Wisconsin/Illinois side is better than the MN/Iowa side, but both are entertaining. We got rained on one afternoon but just kept riding anyway. I'll probably do it again next year. There were a crap ton on gnats if you stopped in any wooded or grassy areas.