View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Rob (MN)

Clutch Cable Maintenance

I have discovered the secret to clutch cable longevity. I broke 2 in about 7000 miles before I started doing the following maintenance procedures.
Weekly I check the tension on the lever. It should completely relax the tension when you release the handle. You only need 1/8 inch or less of play but it must relax to take the tension off the ferrels at both ends of the cable.Keep in mind, thatthe cable tightens over time, so you'll need to loosen it occasionally.
Every 1000 miles or so, I completey loosen the cable and remove clutch lever so I can remove the ferrel from the clutch handle. I clean and lube all the parts with, VERY IMPORTANT, Black Moly grease. It gives you the least friction and smoothest action. It is very important is that the ferrel rotates as the handle is engaged and disengaged. General Lube does not work as well, you will notice the difference in how smooth it is, I gaurantee it.
Inspect the cable right at the ferrel, if there are any strands borken it indicates that the ferrel isn't rotating so the wires are fatigueing.
Do the same at the other end too.
I haven't broken a cable in more than 11K now.