Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Hodge Podge

Hodge Podge Any subject NOT about motorcycles you would like to share.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator Steve (IL)

Putting out feeler - Fate of VicIndex.com

My name is Steve Stoddard and I'd like to get some feedback about the fate of my website, VicIndex.Com. All comments are welcome. I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who might be interested in taking over the website, especially if its someone who can and will develop and promote it more than I have done in the 11 years that I've operated it. The content has been static for many years now, with the exception of the VicParts and Dealer Ratings databases. Those resources evolve and have been maintained by me because they receive user-submissions.

http://www.vicindex.com/

Here are the facts:

The website started in late 1999 as v92c.com with Don VanderWal and I collaborating (Don was redvic_802 in discussion forums; deceased in 2009) .

http://www.pipestonestar.com/Stories....cfm?SID=21750

I bought the domain victorymotorcycle.org in 2000 and continued building, later moving it to vicindex.com. The website currently receives 1700+ unique visitors per month. I still own the victorymotorcycle.org domain name, and old links to that forward to vicindex.com under my current arrangement. Vicindex.Com resources are well-indexed by the major search engines. For instance, searches at Google for "victory dealer reviews" and "victory motorcycle parts" return hits to Dealers and Parts databases, with Dealers occupying position number 1 and VicParts position number 7 on the first page of hits. That's a good start for someone who would want to take over the website for further development.

The two most popular features are the searchable databases VicParts and Victory Dealer Reviews, with VicParts leading by a wide margin. The "V92C Messages" database houses the internet's only searchable version of the old Yeehaa discussion group, where member exchanges eventually led to the creation of the VMC and thevmc.com domain. "V92C Messages" also runs at the TCVR website, and TCVR will retain the right to maintain their copy under any transfer arrangement I agree to. The other interactive resource is an image resizing utility (Perl CGI front end, Imagemagick backend), and there are some static web pages that I've not maintained well.

The interactive resources are based on MySQL relational databases of my own design, with Perl CGI scripts providing the user interfaces to data content and presentation. Very high attention to server security was put into my design of the CGI scripts. An administration interface I built provides for relatively simple and painless administrative review and disposition of user submissions to VicParts and Dealer Reviews. The maintenance of those two resources would, however, benefit from some knowledge of MySQL and Perl.

I feel the domain and content could be a good nucleus for someone who wants to do more with it, so maybe its time for me to pass the torch. Anyone who is interested and would like to take their correspondence off-forum, can reach me via the webmaster link of the website.

What do you think, should I:

- Just close it down?
- Sell it (have no experience with this - tell me how)
- Donate it to someone with the energy and ability to develop it more (who?).

Kind Regards everyone, and thanks for your comments!

Steve

(posted here and at the VMC website)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator Steve (IL)

Need to add another credit. The TCVR's own Choirguy (Chris) originated the Dealer Reviews feature as a web page table offered through his own website. Chris donated it to me, which is when it became an interactive database. Thus it was the work of TCVR veterans Don and Chris that nucleated vicindex.com.

Steve
Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

And for those of you that do not know sstodvictory (Steve) he was the first host of the TCVR when we moved off of Yahoo Groups. He hosted the TCVR for a coupe of years I believe and provided the software till he had to close the site and we moved to where we have now been for years. Thanks Steve for all you have done over the years for the TCVR and for your trips to Minnesota to ride with us.

I would take those over but I do not have the experience needed.

Sparky_Bill