Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > The Value Of Victory vs. Other V-Twins

The Value Of Victory vs. Other V-Twins A place for discussion other V-Twins. Whether to compare Victory to them or them to Victory. Thus keeping the "Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS" free for just Victory posts.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Steven (MN)

Harley Davidson's electric bike review

Jay Leno test rides the Harley Davidson electric bike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyJr8BoklC0
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Rick

That's a nice looking bike. Really surprising to see that styling from HD. I like how they incorporated the turn signals into the mirrors, and the overall profile of the bike.

The range is terrible, but would be okay for someone that commutes a short distance. It's definitely not an all day bike. Yet.

I know that Jay was hyping the lack of noise, which I do kind of like. But I would be afraid that car drivers wouldn't notice the bike at all, and it could be riskier to ride. Definitely need to ride defensively on it.

Cast aluminum frame. I see this as HD's "Core" experiment, where they may be testing the technology that they can then use on some future models. It will be interesting to see if this bike ever makes it to the market.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Dave

Zero and Brammo have been making huge strides with their electric bikes. They are getting better range and power every year. Kind of pricey now, but maybe that will come down in the future.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Kevin

The problem with Brammo is there is no dealer here. Closest is North Milwaukee. The problem with the Zero is the dealer in the cities is the Hitching Post, and they suck. I will never do business with the Hitching Post again. Otherwise I would probably have an electric bike as my commuter.

That's why I am interested in Harley making one. There would be dealers everywhere.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 PM
John

Very Interesting. I like the "jet like" noise it makes. Good styling and handling.

But like every Battery powered vehicle, range is always an underlying question.

As stated many times in the video, manufacturers are making leaps and bounds with this technology.

I like it. Personally, I am not the target market for it. But, nice to see a large company take this on.

Although (now for my poke at HD'ers) it would likely fit the bill for many of them, they could likely hit most of their bar stops in their poker runs on one charge!

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ritz View Post
Very Interesting.

Although (now for my poke at HD'ers) it would likely fit the bill for many of them, they could likely hit most of their bar stops in their poker runs on one charge!
I'm glad someone else made that joke before me. Although I'm sure that we all were thinking it.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ritz View Post
But like every Battery powered vehicle, range is always an underlying question.
Right now the Zero claims 170 miles in the city, 80 miles highway. That's decent. Maybe not a good weekend bike, but definitely a good commuter.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Rick

At the IMS show, Harley had 2 of their LiveWire bikes. One was on a dyno and you could sign up to demo it. Which I did.

Realize this was on a dyno roller and I have no idea how they simulated the drag on the bike. The drag must have been set exceptionally low. But...

I was on their Econo mode and told to NOT pull the bike above 70 MPH. 0 - 70 took about 1/2 a second or less.

In real life, they estimate the 0-60 time in 4 seconds. I guess Harley really DOES know how to market!