Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Write To Ride

Write To Ride Sometimes to protect our right to ride we must write our politicians.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

ABATE just posted this.

http://www.abatemn.org/news/helmet-l...mn-legislature

Sparky_Bill
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
John

Can't help but notice there is a large majority of one party on that list....

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Lee (MN)

Imagine that, the party of the little guy is going to protect us from ourselves again.
I wear a helmet because I want to, not because somebody said I have to.

Herself doesn't count as a somebody.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Dan

I noticed that the background of the website is blue...hmmmm?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Chris

If you don't know who your state rep or state senators are you can find out via this link.

I just emailed both my representatives and will be calling them tomorrow as well.

http://www.gis.leg.mn/OpenLayers/districts/
Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

I am glad you guys looked at it but coming away with your observations are not going to get results. Only Rowebote figured out what to do to protect his rights and your rights.

So I hope the next posts say how many you talked to and emailed.

What pisses me off is we were just up there talking to them in February and now this.

You would think they have more pressing matters to fix.

Sparky_Bill
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Lee (MN)

There many things to fix, unfortunately that would require them to make hard decisions. We the motorcycling people are an easy target, many equate us with loud pipes and HAs worth little or no consideration. Who cares about a 5% minority

Have spoken with local rep and sen, no problem there. Doesn't hurt to be precinict leader.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Chris

I got a fairly positive response from my state rep to the email I sent yesterday.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me to share your views on Senate File 2381. I always appreciate hearing from the citizens I represent.

You are correct that this is an important issue. This bill has been referred to the Transportation Committee. Although I do not sit on this committee, I did speak with my counterparts who are on the committee on the status of this bill. At this point, with a committee deadline of this Friday, it is not likely that this bill we receive a hearing.

Please be assured all comments I receive are carefully considered and I will be sure to keep your specific input in mind as we continue to discuss this important issue. Again thank you, Chris for your note. It is always helpful to hear from residents affected by the policies we are enacting here at the legislature. Please feel free to contact me again on this or any other legislative issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Wayne

I received similar responses from Reps Tom Hackbarth and Mary Kiffmeyer and since my Senators, David Brown and Mike Jungbauer were supporters of the no change to the helmet law and I even sold David Brown on co-sponsoring the roadguard bill, I'm sure they will be on our side as well. The reps are opposed to it and said it will be going nowhere. The reason, in case you're wondering, why I seem to have two of each is because we live right on the border, or did, of two districts and our condo development seems to be in nowhere land regarding GPS as well. So I had the opportunity to meet with two of each at Biker Day.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Adam

I'll likely be a part of the minority here, but I don't ENTIRELY have an issue with this bill. Now, my main preference is they maintain it as a choice and whole heartedly agree that crash prevention is much more important than crash safety. But, it's our choice to ride so it's first and foremost our responsibility to protect ourselves. Consider it kind of a "If it MUST come to law, this is a way I wouldn't mind".

Here's why: We all know riding comes with certain risk. Just like with many things in our lives (i.e. how many of us consider safety when selecting a vehicle for ourselves and our family). I'm personally a very big proponent of rights by way of responsibility. You may have a right (insert right here), but with every right comes responsibilities. This would fall under that realm. If you make the choice to not utilize safety gear that has been proven to work, then make sure you're covered reasonably in order to not become a burden to the State. Now, I do understand that this would open up a whole new can of worms, but really, anything can do that.

I'll have to read the rest of the bill before contacting but am glad to hear it's unlikely to even be heard. Protecting people from others is one thing, but protecting people from themselves is getting out of control. It's called survival.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Wayne

Everything you said, Adam, I agree with and is very reasonable. If you read the Bill, however, you will see that the requirement to provide $500,000 worth of medical and loss of earning, disability, etc., etc., is extremely onerous and, having recently shopped around for motorcycle insurance, is virtually impossible to obtain. As a very simple example, do you have personal injury protection on your motorcycle like is required on your automobiles? Check out how much that premium is for a motorcycle and it only provides $20,000 of medical, etc. And, if you are fortunate enough to have major medical insurance, check the fine print to make sure it covers "recreational vehicles" because a motorcycle is still defined by the traffic organizations in the US as a recreational vehicle. We are practically the only western civilized country in the world that does not include a motorcycle as a "mode of transportation."

Ride safe!!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes View Post
Everything you said, Adam, I agree with and is very reasonable. If you read the Bill, however, you will see that the requirement to provide $500,000 worth of medical and loss of earning, disability, etc., etc., is extremely onerous and, having recently shopped around for motorcycle insurance, is virtually impossible to obtain. As a very simple example, do you have personal injury protection on your motorcycle like is required on your automobiles? Check out how much that premium is for a motorcycle and it only provides $20,000 of medical, etc. And, if you are fortunate enough to have major medical insurance, check the fine print to make sure it covers "recreational vehicles" because a motorcycle is still defined by the traffic organizations in the US as a recreational vehicle. We are practically the only western civilized country in the world that does not include a motorcycle as a "mode of transportation."

Ride safe!!
Like I said, something "like" this. lol I do not have PIP on my motorcycle but do have it through our medical insurance thankfully. Thanks for bringing this up actually as I was under the assumption that our motorcycle coverage did have it (I said to set it up identical to our auto which it essentially was). I'm waiting on concrete numbers, but it sounds like it would be roughly $500/year for both my and the wife's bikes to have this added. Not sure on the limits yet. Go figure. 250/500 on the bikes, $1M umbrella, major medical...and there was still a chance to not be covered. Such a racket!!!!

And yes, it is ridiculous that it's considered recreational!!! It's theraputic, dammit! ha ha!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Adam

So, since I'm the curious sort, I spoke with my agent about this just to check things out and now he's looking deeper to find somethings out so he knows with 100% certainty. Like he says, they write auto and home all day, every day. But recreation vehicles come by now and then. Anyhow, he said that if he recalls correctly, if you have an oops on something like a four wheeler, your medical for the auto kicks in. As such, it should apply to the motorcycle as well since it's also a recreational vehicle. At least that's the logical progression. So, he's going to dig in to it and see what he finds out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Brad

well, I just shot off a couple of e-mails, never contacted a rep before it will be interesting to see what happens.
I was thinking, its probably safer to wear a helmet when mowing the lawn or taking a shower right?
any way time to get back to the shop
Brad
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Jeff

I am friends with one of the house members who sits on the comittee. He assures me it's dead.