Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Richard (MN)

Stuff happens

Walked the Vegas home tonight about 6 blocks. Started fine at work a couple miles from home the engine light came on. Pulled into a gas station to check stuff out. Would not restart no cranking power. Lights & fuel pump still worked ok. Will check all the connections in the am, thinking a connection or maybe the battery died, more news to follow.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Dan

I'm thinking the starter either isn't getting any voltage or it may be bad. Being that the fuel pump is energizing, indicates that there is power in the battery. Even if it were low voltage, the starter would at least "click". Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 AM
Dan

Double check all the grounds, too. The check engine light may be an indicator that there was a low voltage issue, but again, if the fuel pump runs, it may be a connection at the battery, as well. Lord knows, Vics aren't prone to loose battery terminals
Old 05-07-2016, 10:31 AM
John

bad thing about us on this forum we don't say what year bike or even model.
Hard to help when you don't know.

how old is battery
40 amp breaker by battery could be bad. you can short it out with screw driver to see if bike will start. Napa p/n 7823116 $3 bucks dealer $11 bucks if they have one.
Could be bad ignition switch.
could be loose wires at clutch safety switch.
could be bad fuse or braker
Old 05-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Terry

Check voltage to the battery.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Rick

Check your battery connections and all of your grounds. They can mess with things pretty easily.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Steven (MN)

That sucks at least you were close to home and didn't need a tow. How did it run be for it died. like everyone said check the battery for voltage and lose connections.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Richard (MN)

I cleaned up the connections & charged the battery, started right up. As for how it ran before it was good, just the engine light had come on. I shut it off, I should have just rode the last little bit home. I did fine some corrosion in the gerbings connector I cleaned that up in case it was leaking across. Will see how it goes this week.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Paul

Something to look it. Check the battery connections at the battery the bolt my be tight but the cable is loose. It happened to me the bolt is too long and bottems out on top of the battery and cable seems tight and it is not. It took a year for it to show up as the cables corroded a bit. Could add a washer or use a shorter bolt.

It would turn on a check engine light for low volts.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schamby View Post
Something to look it. Check the battery connections at the battery the bolt my be tight but the cable is loose. It happened to me the bolt is too long and bottems out on top of the battery and cable seems tight and it is not. It took a year for it to show up as the cables corroded a bit. Could add a washer or use a shorter bolt.

It would turn on a check engine light for low volts.

That happened to me when I put in a new battery a couple years ago. I think I tried to use the bolts from the stock battery, and they were a little longer than the ones that came with the replacement battery. Once i got things figured out my connections have been good.

Hopefully the battery connections were the only problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:06 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
That happened to me when I put in a new battery a couple years ago. I think I tried to use the bolts from the stock battery, and they were a little longer than the ones that came with the replacement battery. Once i got things figured out my connections have been good.

Hopefully the battery connections were the only problem.
Their are two sets of bolts that came with the battery. I ended up using the shorter ones.