Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Paul

As I understand the 100in freedom engines went from 6qt to 5qt is for lean angle. The 100in engine is 1 centimeter narrower then the 92in engines. The first reviews of Victory is that they would hit pegs or floor broads to easy. I have a temp gauge in my dip stick oil level marks are right for my 92in engine. That is the same dip stick that is used in the 100in and 106in engines.

The videos had Hollywood in them he was going from the first hammer engines to the freedom engines with the oil-coolers. They where covering allot ground pretty fast. The bad part is the had no focus on dipsticks.

Funny part of the video the guy said that Victory has been using the same starter on every bike they have made. If it works why change it. Harley has been saying that for 100 years.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Lee (MN)

The only difference I find is that on the newer stick the add mark is higher on the stick. I won't quote numbers.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Bruce (MN)

How much oil?

I changed the oil last fall and recall putting in all six quarts in the '03 vegas. Most people say that they only use 5.5 to 5.75 quarts to fill, so I thought maybe that I had overfilled it. After I've checked it though it looks ok to me. Can this be right?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
James (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCruiser View Post
I changed the oil last fall and recall putting in all six quarts in the '03 vegas. Most people say that they only use 5.5 to 5.75 quarts to fill, so I thought maybe that I had overfilled it. After I've checked it though it looks ok to me. Can this be right?
I've always put 6 qts. in the '03 TC.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Dan

My 2005 Vegas with the 92" engine took 6 qts. I put in 6 qts with filter change and it was always dead-nuts on the mark on the dipstick.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Adam

Oil Questions Asked And Answered

So need to get my first oil change done aside from the break in which I have the dealer do. I'm getting prices around $55-75 just for the "kits" if you will (filter, washer and oil). Is that right? Just seems a bit high compared to previous bikes. Granted, this is directly through a Vic dealer. is this something I can get at somewhere like Mills Fleet Farm?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
flatsboy

UhOh, here comes the debate again. Can't go wrong with Victory oil. Amsoil is also popular but stick with Victory oil and parts if still under warranty. Fleet Farm has Amsoil and the Fram filter PH6017A. You can get the crush washer from Victory or your local auto parts store. I buy Victory oil in the 5qt container and use a Fram.

Search the site for oil changes and well as Victoryforums.com and the VOG, then take 2 Excedrin 'cause you'll get a headache.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Rick

Yes, the Victory oil is expensive. The oil change kits are all around that 60-$75 price range, depending on how many quarts you need.

I've always used the Vic oil, but have been considering going with Mobil 1 for my next change. It's not cheap either, but I don't have to travel 30 miles to find it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Jeff

You paid good money for a great bike.....will not take chances with off brand or cheaper alternatives. Sorry but my "2 cents" worth.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Adam

Oh, I'm used to forums and the usual back and forth on the great oil debate. Ha ha! I have my own opinions which will be used on my bikes. Just curious if you can get quality stuff at places like Fleet Farm or not. Price just seemed a smidge high is all. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Jeff

Just my opinion, but people put way to much worry into oil. Get the napa gold filter, which is a wix, and use rotella t6 full synthetic. Which is a very high quality oil for not alot of money. Meets all the requirements for warranty coverage. Magneson moss act covers this.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
flatsboy

Take those Excedrin yet?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Joe

I personally like a good extra virgin olive oil. Keeps things smooth, has a high flash point and tastes really good!

Seriously, I look at it this way - victory put a lot of energy and money in to testing and developing a proprietary para-synthetic oil for these bikes to ensure proper lubrication and friction for the wet gear system. Saving 10 -20 bucks on an oil change just doesn't seem worth it to me to risk it.

And for the record, I usually go through about 5-6 oil changes a year.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should just buy a 55 gallon drum since I have re-useable filters???

And as usual, your results may vary and opinions are just like assholes... Everyone has one.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Greg

AL

I use VICTORY oil at the Bonneville Salt Flats. I has performed very well.

Greg
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Greg

Correction:

That was supposed to say "It has performed very well".

Greg