Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Mark (MN)

Oil Temperature Dipsticks

I know this may be posted elsewhere on the forum & I spent an hour or so searching. But I wanted to get fresh information on what people think about putting an oil temperature dipstick in a Victory 106 motor?

I had a 2006 Vegas Jackpot that I put one in for half price but unfortunately didn’t take it out when I got rid of the bike. I would hope the same dipstick would fit the 106 since they take the same oil capacity.

But I do not know that and from what I am seeing online people say they are junk and not worth the money. Loose fittings, doesn’t read temp right, is hard to remove without the rubber top coming off.

I am wondering if they are really worth it and if one from a 100 ci motor will work on a 106 ci motor? I can get one for about $25 but not going to unless it’s worth it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Joe

The dipsticks from the 100" and 106" were the same from the factory, so I imagine an aftermarket version would work.

My bigger question is "why do you want it?" I get that being able to see the temp of the oil might be of interest, but other than curiosity, I am not sure what it achieves.

Not being a jerk, I'm just more curious about what people use the info for. If it gets to temperature "X" would you shut the engine down and let it cool? Would you wait for the oil to get to a certain temp before attempting a burnout?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Paul

I have one in both of my bikes. I agree they are not real accurate. The reason I have them is for reference if it runs hot I know something is wrong. Think of it as a water temp gauge on a car they are also not real accurate. It will tell you if something is not right. My 2 pennies
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 PM
John

The oil temp dipsticks are not very "accurate" out of the package.

I once pulled 6 of them off the shelf and the temp readings on them differed a total of 40 degrees with nary a one that was accurate to the temperature of the room. (which they all should have been; and reading the same temp)

Most mechanical (and some of the better digital) temp gauges need to be calibrated every so often to assure their accuracy.

You can "calibrate" the Vic temp gauges by inserting in an ice bath (which should read 32' F) by twisting the top portion of the gauge while holding he bottom of the shaft. Or, if you are certain of the temp (like the interior of your house) you can calibrate that way - but this is not safe for food)

That said, I took a Taylor brand, NSF restaurant/food certified temp gauge; drilled through a spare oil dipstick; calibrated the gauge; epoxied it all together, and it has been in #434 for 17 years. I did have to reseal the top plastic with silicone as the lens cracked.

Is it still accurate? I don't know, - never tried to re-calibrate it because I can't - it's all epoxied together. But, I look at it every so often (especially when the weather, and I am hot) just to see what the reading is.

If you REALLY want to know what the temp is, and what is going on in your engine, you need an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) for each cylinder - typically installed in the header pipe within inches of cylinder. (follow the instructions of the EGT gauge you use)
They are pretty neat, especially the digital ones (despite me liking analog gauges, digital fast read is the only way to go for EGT) - most have settings you can set to change colors to the temps you set to assure you back off or close the throttle when temps get dangerous the specific engine/application you have.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 AM
Mark (MN)

Thanks for the responses everyone. I mainly wanted to know if the dipstick in the 100ci motor was the same as the one in the 106ci. Sounds like it is.....there are other reasons I was wondering about this but that isn't important.. Thanks for the tips Johnny Ritz.