Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Kevin (MN)

Best road you ever rode

I am still a rookie at riding/motorcycling (about 1.5 yrs) and I was curious to hear some of the best roads locally and nationally some of you have been on.

So far my favorites (all local):

hwy 60 out of Wabasha was pretty good
Cty J which turns into SS out of Stockholm, WI
Cty A near Maiden rock, WI going straight north
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator Steve (IL)

Best...that is hard. Every small road between Soldiers Grove WI and Mt. Carol IL is a start.

Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Mike (formerly MikeD)

I've become a bit of a fan of Pierce Cty O from Trimbelle, WI heading South to Hwy 35 (a TCVR favorite).

Goodhue Cty 7 through Welch and Vasa is pretty good too (another TCVR favorite).

I also like the newly repaved MN 210 heading West through Jay Cooke State Park in Duluth.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Rick

All really good roads mentioned so far.

Locally, there's a couple spots around Marine on St. Croix that are quick to get to if you're on the NE side of town.

Mindoro Cut north of West Salem/ LaCrosse is a great road with a lot of fun county roads that spur off in that area.
WI 33 west of Ontario should is nice.

Some of the best roads in the country are Beartooth Pass on the NW corner of Yellowstone Ntl Park and Tail of the Dragon in the Smokey Mtns. They're well worth the ride out there.

Great idea for a thread!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Connie (MN)

• US50 east of Cincinnatti is one of the best. Randy and I rode this on our way to the Blue Ridge Parkway last year. Long, sweeping turns you don't have to slow down for.
  • Don't forget the Cherahola Skyway after riding the Tail of the Dragon. It's hard to find a bad road in that area.
  • Highway 38 between Grand Rapids and Effie (a yearly ritual).
  • Between Hurley and Hayward is Hwy. 77 and GG.
  • The Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Cross Village in Michigan along the coast of Lake Michigan. It's a little slow, but very beautiful and curvy. The trees form a canopy overhead.

Connie

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Lee (MN)

Hwy 28 north from Sauk Center to Swanville

A couple of county roads in the area, which I can't remember their numbers.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 AM
Pat (MN)

1 from by Illgen City to Ely is nice. I also like the Spearfish Canyon road when I was in Sturgis last year.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Mike (formerly MikeD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06shooter View Post
Hwy 28 north from Sauk Center to Swanville
I'll second that one!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Mike (formerly MikeD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Some of the best roads in the country are Beartooth Pass on the NW corner of Yellowstone Ntl Park . . .
Great! I'm going there this summer . . . . In a frickin' Yukon!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Kevin (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Goodhue Cty 7 through Welch and Vasa is pretty good too (another TCVR favorite).
Yes, I have been on this one a few times as well, can't believe I forgot it.

Anybody been to the UP? Lake of the clouds up to Copper Harbor? I have been up there snowmobiling many times, would like to take the bike up there one of these days.

Thanks to everyone, I now have some more roads to load into the GPS....
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
John

I was on the St. Croix Trial south of 94 yesterday - if they don't fix it, it will prove to be a Kindney brusing blood pisser by April. I think I need to rebuild the struts after that.

Mike - why don't you ride out there and buy a new Yukon when you are there - with Sparky's high taxed gas prices(), it will probably be cheaper to do it that way...

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Rick

Yeah, gas prices are supposed to suck this year.

I suspect Mike's Yukon trip to the Yellowstone area involves 3 little ones and the Mrs. So, unless he's added that Jumb side-car to the Jackpot, I'll bet he's stuck in the SUV. It does, however, open up another option for you.

Just across the valley from Beartooth is a part of the Custer Ntl Forest that's little used. At least I think it's Custer Forest there. If you've got a few hours to spend, you can enter the Rock Creek campground just a few miles Northeast of the end of Beartooth Pass, and take a small gravel road called Hellroaring Road up to Hellroaring Plateau. The road ends near Granite Peak, and after a short walk, you get to one of the prettiest places in all of the rockies. There is this string of lakes nestled in canyon up there. It's possible to hike down to them, but isn't easy at all. But the view from on top of the valley is one of the greatest you'll ever see. Plus, you have a pretty good chance of being able to see a lot of wildlife from that perspective and granite peak and surrounding range is a backdrop. And if you go there in late June, you might even get served at their " Bar On Top Of The World" where they carve a roadside snowbank into a saloon and have all sorts of fun there. Though I think they quit serving free alcohilic drinks a few years ago... but they used to!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Brian

At this point any road that is free of snow and salt and is 40 degrees is a good one.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Jeff

Amen to that....I am riding today an will enjoy every minute...the give it a bath.

Wingnutx7
Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Lee (MN)

Best roads

Spearfish Canyon, The Needles Highway, The Devil's Tower run (Hewlett, Wy), Highway 38 between Grand Rapids and Effie, Highway 65 from Togo to Littlefork is a really nice ride(Sid might have reservations about this one, no pun intended), Highway 65 from US 2 (just past Casper's Leather in Warba) towards Blaine, Highway 11 from Littlefork west to Warroad. Also there is some hilly, curvy roads around Spirit Lake, Ia. And really any road I am riding with my friends from the TCVR is the road to be on!!! Lee