Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Matt (MN)

Recommendations for Rain Gear - Also Helmets

So in three weeks I take off with the wife, brother-in-law and his girlfriend for our 9 day motorcycle trip. We'll be riding through the Ozark mountains with a 3 night stop in Branson. Meeting up with my other brother-in-law and sister who are riding from Memphis.

Anyway, i'm feeling pretty confident at some point we're going to be riding through the rain, and a nice set of rain gear would come in pretty handy. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for gear since at this point I really don't know what to be looking for. I don't want to completely break the bank on the nicest gear I could possibly buy, but I also want to stay as dry as I can. Any input?

I'm also just curious to know what type of helmet everyone rides with. I actually quite often ride without a helmet, but i've been looking for one I like when I do wear one. I started out with a half helmet and hated it. At about 40 miles /hour the thing is like a wind sock and just about rips my head off. So the other day I purchaces a 3/4 helmet with a clear removable face shield. Nice because if I can't wear my contacts for some reason, I can wear my glasses behind the shield. Anyway, i'm just not a huge fan of full helmets. Not sure why, just don't care for them. So I'm curious what other people's thoughts are.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Joe

I have had good success with Frogg Toggs rain gear and Totes over-boots. rode through some pretty heavy stuff and stayed pretty dry. An added bonus is the stuff breathes so you aren't stewing in your own juices when it's hot.

As for helmets, it's a pretty personal issue with comfort. I started with full-face, went to half, went to nothing and have now gravitated to a 3/4. I have owned HJC, Scorpion, Shoei and Nolan helmets. The HJC seems to fit my head best, and the Shoei is the worst for comfort. The only way to tell is to go to a store and wear them for about a half hour or so and see if it hurts your melon.

As for visibility, I really like the 3/4. A full face is a little too restrictive on vision for me.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Blaine (not the town)

Have to agree with Joe re: the helmet issue. I wear HJC 3/4 with the full face shield. Good visibility, shield is easily replaceable when it's scratched, and keeps my face dry during moderate to heavy rains. Tends to fog on cooler days but that is easily remedied by moving the shield up one detent. For rain gear, I just went out and purchased whatever the Victory shop had (as I recall they had two levels of quality and I opted for the better set). It's not breathable but it does keep me dry. If you're going to do a lot of wet weather riding, especially where it's warm and humid, you might want to consider a better quality suit.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Chris

I've heard the Nelson-Riggs are a good setup but I can't speak from personal experience with them. I also have some Victory Raingear. It seems to work pretty well. However I can tell that in warmer weahter that it isn't going to breath much. The Frog-toggs will breath a lot better. I've heard varying things as to their effectiveness on a motorcycle though. I know they work fantastic if you are just standing around in the rain.

As for helmets I now have an Arai and really like it. I had a Shoei before but it wasn't comfortable. Both are full face helmets. I figure if I'm going to wear something, I should wear one that gives me the most protection. Of course when the weather is nice I rarely wear a helmet. When I had a half helmet I ran into the same issue that it was basically a sail that would try to pull my head off from the wind. Maybe I'll wear my helmet more this summer since I found one that is comfortable. Probably not but you never know. Make sure that you get the right size like Joe says. Leave it on for a bit to see if you start getting any hot spots/pressure points that just putting one on for a minute won't appear. Also figure out if you are going to wear a bandana or not when wearing your helmet. I like to but it adds a little difference to the sizing.

Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Lee (MN)

Frogg-Toggs!!

Look at a modular helmet too.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
John

I have found the best thing to keep your head from buffeting with any helmet is a windshield - you didn't mention if you had one on.
Didn't ever think I would put one one, but went from a fly screen to the current mid length. Very much helps.

Will 2nd or 3rd the Frogg Toggs - I have the Road Toad edition which is nice because they have a hood the fits under your helmet. - But I did have some wicking in crotch area that was remedied with a little rubber cement... They are very portable too....

Have fun on your trip...

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Rick

I have the Frogs Toggs and found they leak a bit at the seams. Johnny-I'll try the rubber cement. They're pretty comfortable, but don't pack quite as tightly as the Nelson Riggs suit that was just on clearance on Dennis Kirk when I placed my last order. The NRiggs suit is really compact. I haven't used it in the rain, yet, but I can tell you this - they run at least 1 size small. I normally wear 2X clothing, ordered the 3x NRiggs suit, it it fits tight.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Kit (MN)

I was considering getting the Frogg Toggs too....then I happened to find a similar product being sold at Sam's Club for $25. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but the price was right.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
John

Who's Kit?

Where you been stranger?

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Kit (MN)

Sorry Ritt, no excuses, just busy I guess. I don't get out to the monthly Wednesday meet-n-greets, cuz I'm always down at Mpls Town Hall Brewery on that day. In the last couple of years, I've only missed the week of July 4th when we're in DL. If any of the group wants to stop by there on any given Wednesday, between say 5-6:30pm you're likely to see me having a beer with my son. I do enjoy my craft beers. I'll see if I can't talk the boy into hitting a couple of the group rides this year, and try to get together with y'all.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
John

HMM, a Victory Wednesday destination....

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59