Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
"Formerly Tubamotorcycle" Chris (MN)

A couple of parts questions (Crash Guards and Tires)

Hey gang,

Two questions for you.

1) I had a pretty serious accident last October on the bike (one of the new roundabouts in Cottage Grove) and used my crash guards. Anyone have used guards for a V92C they aren't using? But more likely, anyone have a good tip on where I can get some Lindby bars for my bike at a good price? I've found a set for just under $300 on eBay, and no, I haven't checked with Warner's yet.

2) Tires. I've used the stock Dunlops since 2000...but I'm not opposed to trying something else...and I need new tires this year. Suggestions?

Thanks much!

Chris
Old 03-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Pat (MN)

Hey Chris.

I put Metzeler 880's on my TC last year, and am liking them quite a bit. They seem to handle just a bit "lighter" then my OEM Dunlops that I had always run before. I've heard they don't last as long, but only have 7000 miles on them so I can't comment on that yet. I got them at Moto Primo, Warners told me they couldn't get them for me. I guess I'll see about the wear on them if the weather ever gets a bit nicer! Good luck finding the crash bars, I hope you're ok after the crash.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
1) I had a pretty serious accident last October on the bike (one of the new roundabouts in Cottage Grove)
Bummer on the crash there Chris. I like those roundabouts, Heidi does not. I guess you vote with Heidi now.

Sparky_Bill
Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
"Formerly Tubamotorcycle" Chris (MN)

Regarding the crash...they had just opened up the roundabouts a couple of weeks earlier, and I had only driven them once in my car. It ends up that one of the roundabouts (there are two in sequence) is single lane, the other is a two lane. I entered the first, thinking it was also a two lane...and it wasn't. There's an inner skirt, which is made of the same materials as everything else, and that skirt is "raised," but not indicated in any special way (painted a color, for example). The raised skirt is to allow semi trucks to be able to navigate the roundabout. However, if you hit that skirt on a bike, you go down pretty hard, even though you're not going that fast...plus it was nice, sharp, new concrete. Ouch. I wish I could tell you that I was hot-dogging it into the roundabout, but that isn't my style. I was just heading towards the inner lane, which I found wasn't an inner lane too late.

I'll probably be heading to Warner's tomorrow to ask about some cost options for tires, crash guards, and the like.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
There's an inner skirt, which is made of the same materials as everything else, and that skirt is "raised," but not indicated in any special way (painted a color, for example).
That is a problem that MDOT has. They do not think of cycle a lot. I found during the construction of Hwy 100 that they moved traffic at times to share a side of the old hwy while they work on the other side. When you came back over to the north bound side there was a ridge you had to climb and it was at a 45 degree angle. On wet pavement that had to be even worse. All they would have to do is put some temporary black top to remove the ridge. 4 wheels no problem but 2 could be fatal.

Hope to see you this year.

Sparky_Bill
Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Hal (WI)

Metzlers

Chris,
Another vote for the Metzler 880. They hold the road much better than the stock Dunlop. Also don't feel every bump/crack... Seems like a smoother ride.
Also I'm hooked on the wide WW, not sure if it's an option on the Dunlop.

Hal
http://i.pbase.com/g1/04/30604/3/93619280.j979P3Pw.jpg
Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
John

Nice to hear from you again Chris. Sorry to hear of your incident.

I have run the ME 880 for about 30K now and really like them.
They handle well and have some longevity.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.