Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Paul (MN)

Fork tube replacement

Has anyone replaced, rebuilt or changed thier fork tubes? I'm looking at replacing just the fork tube assemblies not the whole fork assembly on my 2002 TCD. The upgraded 2005 fork tubes have a different valving design that gives you less road vibration and better ride control. I'm concidering this as a garage project, any advise?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
John

Stop by a dealer or do a search if they up graded the valving in the tubes they might have changed the forks also. The up grades might have more fluid then the old ones.
Maybe just changing the weight of your fluid could do it for you and you would save some money.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Kyle

Hey Paul, how's it going? I did some checking here: http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

It didn't look like any p/n's matched. Not even the triple trees so I don't know if you can do what you are thinking.

There is a company called Race Tech http://racetech.com/

They have springs and cartridge emulators for your model. I put a set of their springs in Kelli's Vegas with 15wt oil and it made a huge difference in the ride. They have different strength springs so when you order you give them your weight and they supply the correct spring.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Paul (MN)

Thanks for the tips you guys, as always great advise. I ordered new forks from Moto Primo yesterday after a long discussion with Dean. The 2002 forks have been replaced with the same forks as used on the 2005 models. My understanding is that all TCs and Cs will use these forks for replacements so there wouldn't be a part number for an '02 and the only difference between the TC and the C is the tripple clamps. Those are completly different but I doubt I'll ever have to replace them. I'll post again after I tackle the project. FYI, the reason for replacing the forks is ridability and I've wanted to do this for a long time.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Administrator Steve (IL)

This is a late reply since TBIRD already found his solution. I just wanted to add another option. For my '00 V92C I went to Race Tech Gold Valve emulators and Eibach springs to improve the front suspension. My Vic mechanic (Rich Frye of Douglas & Frye) worked out the details with Race Tech and then shipped my fork tubes to Race Tech for the work.

It made a big difference. The total cost was about $400.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM
John

The ride on my 99 was a little soft and "Pogo stick like". I switched to 15 wt oil (vs the 7.5) and have been very happy with the results for the last 45K. I change the fork oil about every 20k.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.