Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Wayne

Dang, Rick, Laurie, Connie, and John, don't you know you're talking to AZ snowbird about heated clothing? I have heated seats and pads and warm clothes. Do we really need heated jacket, like what I saw on the gordon web site, or Gerbings heated jacket and pants?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes View Post
Dang, Rick, Laurie, Connie, and John, don't you know you're talking to AZ snowbird about heated clothing? I have heated seats and pads and warm clothes. Do we really need heated jacket, like what I saw on the gordon web site, or Gerbings heated jacket and pants?
I have the Gerbings:
Heated G3 Gloves (microwire)
Heated Jacket Liner (old copper-wire style)
Heated Pant Liner (microwire)
Heated Socks (microwire)
Dual Controller

and on the Vision:
Heated Grips
Heated Seat

Actually, I got most of the heated gear before I got the Vision, cause I liked to ride throughout the year, as long as the roads were safe - and the heated gear made the cold weather (as low as -5) tolerable.

Now, with the Vision, the heated gear makes the cold weather...Nice! (again, as long as the roads are safe)

For us...the heated gear I have acquired over the years is cheaper than a place in AZ! (ok, I am just jealous!)

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ritz View Post
I have the Gerbings:
Heated G3 Gloves (microwire)
Heated Jacket Liner (old copper-wire style)
Heated Pant Liner (microwire)
Heated Socks (microwire)
Dual Controller

and on the Vision:
Heated Grips
Heated Seat

Actually, I got most of the heated gear before I got the Vision, cause I liked to ride throughout the year, as long as the roads were safe - and the heated gear made the cold weather (as low as -5) tolerable.

Now, with the Vision, the heated gear makes the cold weather...Nice! (again, as long as the roads are safe)

For us...the heated gear I have acquired over the years is cheaper than a place in AZ! (ok, I am just jealous!)
I know I can survive with my clothes but I would like to get Val a heated jacket/liner. Can they be simply plugged into my cigarette lighter plug on my Cross Country? I have two, one up front and one in the trunk. Or are there battery operated ones which I would prefer.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 AM
Lee (MN)

The jackets come with a pigtail connector that you attach directly to the battery, but you can buy an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. I'm not sure what amperage the socket on the bike is rated for though, it may not be enough and may blow the fuse.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 AM
Rick

I've used the cigarette lighter connector before with good results. They're available from The Warming Store online for $20. Not sure about a local source. DO NOT get the BMW style, they don't fit the Cross Country 12v plugs.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Wayne

I just ordered a battery operated heated vest for Val and also battery operated gloves for Val from Dennis Kirk. I have ridden in upper 40s weather before comfortably with my warm weather clothing and we have heated seats and I have heated grips.

Didn't dawn on me just how cold it will be up the Gunflint the end of September. Whew!!! Sure glad I saw these posts about heated gear as Val would have suffered terribly.

Thank you very much!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes View Post
I just ordered a battery operated heated vest for Val and also battery operated gloves for Val from Dennis Kirk. I have ridden in upper 40s weather before comfortably with my warm weather clothing and we have heated seats and I have heated grips.

Didn't dawn on me just how cold it will be up the Gunflint the end of September. Whew!!! Sure glad I saw these posts about heated gear as Val would have suffered terribly.

Thank you very much!!!!!!

It takes lots of power to generate heat - have lots of batteries, or a couple of charging packs.
I would strongly advocate hooking a pig tail to the battery of the bike and let the bike provide all the power Val would need for her heat.
Once you feel the heat - you want more, and when it get's cooler during the day, you will turn up the heat and the batteries/pack may not have any left to give.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Rick

Route for the way up

Here's the route in Google Maps for the trip up. We will bomb up the freeway at the beginning of the trip, until we get past Cloquet. That way, we can enjoy the nice Northern roads and Fall colors. AND get to camp before dark.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fore...=en&authuser=0

On the way back down, I thought we could run up to Trail's End, visit Palisade Head, and take MN 23 down. Who knows, they might even have Hwy 210 by Jay Cooke open by then! If anyone doesn't feel like running up to Trail's End, they could hang out at the Trail Center or Hungry Jack Lodge for a while.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Brian

Got the back tire put on yesterday, let's get this party started. Who's up for gravel?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
OK, this year for the Fall Colors, we will be running up to the Gunflint Trail and staying overnight at Hungry Jack's Lodge.
[list][*] Date: Saturday, Sept 30, 2017[*] Meet-up Time: 7:30am[*] Meet-up Location: Kwik Trip just West of I-35 on Hwy 97 in Forest Lake[*] Kick Stands Up: 8am Sharp!
[*] Lodging: Hungry Jack Lodge, Grand Marais[*] Lodging Website: hungryjacklodge.com/[*] The lodge for dinner.[*] Drinks around the bonfire

Are these details still accurate?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Rick

DETAILS

Meet Location: Kwik Trip, Forest Lake, Hwy 97, 1/2 mile East of I-35
https://www.kwiktrip.com/Locations/D...google-distrib
Date: Saturday, Sept 30th
Meet-up: 7:30am
Depart: 8:00am sharp
Lunch: Stoney Ridge Lodge in Ely for burgers.
Destination: Hungry Jack Lodge, Gunflint Trail about 30 miles North of Grand Marais, MN
Dinner, Bonfire and Lodging

We currently have:
28 people going to the lodge. A few more might start out with us and peel off.
23 bikes
All booked cabins are at capacity.There is still 1 cabin left available to book that can hold 5-9 people which has 4 beds and a pull-out.

Below are the current accommodations:

Caribou: (full)
Rick and Laurie
Connie and Randy
Mark Cox
Dave Frieze
Derek Kuntz

Elk: (full)
Wayne and Val
Steve and Tammy
Skinny B
Gregorio

Bear: (full)
Matt and Maria
John and Jen
Spenser

Hawk: (full)
Zman
Mike and Myra
Goldie and Shallon
Big Al

Grouse: (full)
Roy and Shelly
Kent

Camping: (open)
Northstarr Kurt

Moose:
This cabin is available for booking.- 3 double beds
- 1 twin bed
- 1 queen pullout

If anyone wants to book this cabin, talk to Forrest or Mary at the lodge directly and mention that you are with the TCVR motorcycle group. Otherwise, they probably will tell you they are booked.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Mat

can't wait!! this is going to be a blast!!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Greg

Good afternoon everyone . I just got back from grouse hunting up on the Gunflint Trail , so here's an update for all of you . First off we had rain every night but the days were sunny and warm say 70 . Next we went all the way up to seagull lake and the road was ok for the most part one or two ruff spots , also talked to the local conservation officer and their hasn't been any reports of moose or deer problems as of lately but as always use caution . Finally the fall color report , the Aspen's and search trees are just starting to turn a light green to yellow and I didn't see any reds , I would say 20 percent of change at best and maybe 10 percent change in Duluth at best . We were up all last week and never had a frost and the the bugs were thick , didn't even have a fire .and the furnace never came on in the camper . I was hoping to get back up to do some more hunting but some family stuff came up so I probably won't get back up this year . On a side note Betty's pie was great and the stop a Russ Kendall smoke shop is always a favorite . Ride safe , ride smart and post some pics .
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Dean

Looking at the map and plans this looks like a great trip, enjoy everyone! I can't make it.

But Greg, how was the grouse hunting???
Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Wayne - I highly recommend the electrically heated clothing. It will extend your riding season greatly. Your bike will easily have enough power for 2 full suits.
Dr Mudspringers has Gerbings. I'm not sure what Bob's carries for electric gear, but they can order it for you. FirstGear thru an on-line retailer, like Revzilla is also a good way to go.

The Fall Color Run up to the Gunflint Trail is just over 2 weeks away. There should still be one cabin left. Plus Wayne has 1 spot open (futon for 2) as do I (queen pull-out).
FYI: Bobs Cycle supply has a 70% off sale on electric heated clothing. https://www.bobscycle.com/nsearch/?k...ut+Heated+Gear