Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Wheels To Meals

Wheels To Meals If you know a good place to ride to for a good meal (a day ride only), start a new thread with the name of the place. In the first post tell us where the place is and what you liked. A picture of the menu would be a nice addition or web site.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Chris

Piggy BBQ - Walker MN

I haven't been here but someone told me this place had the best ribs they ever had. I know we have some bbq critics in the group so we should check it out one of these days. I'm throwing this out there as a place holder so I don't forget to try it this summer.

http://www.thepiggybbq.com/
607 Minnnesota AVe West
Walker, N 56484

218-547-OINK (6465)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Joe

Well, a 7:00am departure from Minneapolis would get us there right around opening time, including a gas stop. Sounds like a reason for a summer ride!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM
John

You know I will be in!

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGopher View Post
Well, a 7:00am departure from Minneapolis would get us there right around opening time, including a gas stop. Sounds like a reason for a summer ride!!!
That's pretty much what I was thinking, Joe!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Mark (formerly Mark2112)

Absolutely!!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Kyle

Me too!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Dan

Mmmmmm....Ribs!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Lee (MN)

me too.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 PM
John

Needed some Psycho Therapy

So late last night I decided I was going to make a run and include The Piggy BBQ in Walker.
Didn't know if I was going to to include it on the front side of the ride or the back side.
Luckily, I decided to hit it on the front side of the ride. Left a little after 7 and got there 15 min b4 opening at 11. Waited outside. There was a sign that said "sorry: sold out of beef brisket"

The owners are a husband and wife team. She opened the door just b4 11. I said "does this mean you are open"- and she commented "sorta" with a smile.
There is assigned seating (wait to be seated). She mentioned - "you can sit at the bar if you would like - and then asked what I would like to have"?

I ordered a half rack with baked beans. I Inquired about the brisket and she said they had a phone in order that took all of it!

The husband delivered my food and I said "I only ordered a half rack" - the owner said that "this is our half rack" with a smile. HOLY PIG! What a lot of food!

I began to chow down like a Sparky Bill who hasn't eaten in more than 6 hours on his birthday.

Shortly after, people began to spill in - and more call in orders. The wife team mentioned to all that it would be about 45 minutes before more food could be served because they have so many phone orders to get out. They could sit and order a drink and have free (delicious) chips as they got the orders out as fast as they could.
(this is a busy place!)
As I ate and chatted with the owners as they filled orders, and regulars I learned:
-the owners are super nice, easy and fun to talk to. (I would say mid 60's)
-they have been open 5 years and have been busy since the start.
-there have been many times when they sell out of food by 12:30.
-the owner mentioned he does not and will not have a microwave, everything is fresh - no keeping hot or re-heating.
-the smoker holds 280 pounds of meat; after cooking down, that equates to approx 190 pounds.
-when it's gone; it's gone.
-they have adjusted what they put in the smoker to try and accommodate the best sellers.
-there is a restaurant in Italy that uses their sauce. The Italian owner ate there a couple years ago and asked for the recipe. The owner of Piggy's told him, if you come back, I will find a way to get you some. The Italian was visiting family in Oregon this year and made a special trip to MSP on his way back to Italy, took a car to Walker and called his bet. (I don't know if he shared the recipe or simply sells it to him)
-a regular who summer's in the area mentioned there is a rumor the Owners are getting kinda burned out and have an offer for new ownership of the place. Which would be too bad, cause they are very friendly nice people.

The portions are huge - the baby backs were very very meaty.(see picture) The food was very good. But, I have to admit the ribs aren't my (and again-me, my personal) favorite style of rub. I would say the rub is like a west Texas style, I prefer Louisiana or Missouri style rubs for ribs. BUT, I bet this rub would be Great! on beef brisket - which is maybe why they sold completely out of it. Next time, I will call ahead to get the brisket.

All in, I would say definitely worth the trip! I can't wait to try the brisket. Hope the owners keep it - they are great.

But, I also wonder why they don't or can't get more smoker space - it seems like they are "leaving money on the table" if they sell out so fast.

The Psycho-therapy helped - 640 miles with some curvy roads (and an unmarked gravel spot at speed that made the Blue Angle squirm back on forth way to much! (which made me pee my underwear a bit-as I thought I might not recover it!)

All in - good food, good ride, rubber side stayed down makes a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_105529.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	5343  

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Bill (Webmaster)

Good reveiw there Mr. Ritter. Fun read.