Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:34 AM
flatsboy

Ditto to Chris. Both the V92 Freedom motor and the Hammer take 4.5 qts. It can take 10 mins or so for it all to drain when warm, I wait for the occassional drip before replacing plug and filter.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM
James (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_H View Post
Finally got around to doing the oil. Get everything drained, new washer and filter on. Everything is going fine until I get to filling the new oil. My manual says 4 3/4 quarts of oil. I put in 4 and a few glugs from the 5th (less than half a quart) and pull the funnel out to check the level. It's so full that oil is litterally pouring out.

Still draining the excess out bit by bit, but seems odd that it ended up that over full.
That doesn't seem right. Didn't lose count when filling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
Ditto to Chris. Both the V92 Freedom motor and the Hammer take 4.5 qts. It can take 10 mins or so for it all to drain when warm, I wait for the occassional drip before replacing plug and filter.
My Freedom motor takes 6 qts. Must be the newer Freedom motors that take 4.5 qts.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
John

The older motorbikes take 6 quarts.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Paul

The 92 ci engines are 6 qts. It may be over full before you start it. The oil filter is not full. What you could do is put 5 qts in start the bike and then top off. I think the 100 ci engines was when they went to 5qt crank case.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Steven (MN)

Oil change

The 92 inch motor had 6qts. 05 when 100inch came out they went to the 4.5 qurts. I use 4 1/2 qts. I fill the filler 1/2 not full or you will make a mess. The rest in crankcase. You should have no problem I don't.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Mike

I have the 100 ci motor. Ran into a few issues and ended up having to call a buddy over to hold the bike upright so I could fit the drain pan under the bike. Was in a bit if a hurry so I might not have let it drain completely. The engine was warm but I was probably closer to 5 minutes than 10. It was down to that tiny wispy stream... Didn't think that there would have been that much left in there. I have run the bike and filled the filter, and drained the filter a few times trying to get the excess out.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 PM
flatsboy

Interesting, my '02 V92C with the Freedom motor took 4.5 qts after being fully drained, filter off. Changed the oil 4 times. After running the engine it put the oil at the Full mark of the stick. I have no idea how you can get 6+ quarts in that engine. My '05 Hammer also takes 4.5 qts, I just changed it.

Here is what the 2002 V92C owner's manual spec page 133 says:
"Engine Oil 6 QT (5.7 ltr)"
on page 74 it says "Fill the crancase through the oil fill cap with 6 quarts (5.7 liters) of the proper grade and viscosity oil"

Here is what the 2005 Hammer owner's manual spec page 153 says:
"Engine Oil 5 Qt (4.75 L) (4.5 Qt at change)"
yet on page 83 it says "Fill the crancase through the oil fill cap with about 4 3/4 quarts (4.5 liters) of oil" obviously a discrepancy.

Regardless of this both engines took 4.5 Qts after being fully drained, new filter installed and run 2-3 minutes. The dip stick needs to be fully screwed in to get an accurate reading. Bottom line, feed it whatever is required to get it to the Full Mark on the stick.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Paul

Quote:
Interesting, my '02 V92C with the Freedom motor took 4.5 qts after being fully drained, filter off. Changed the oil 4 times. After running the engine it put the oil at the Full mark of the stick. I have no idea how you can get 6+ quarts in that engine. My '05 Hammer also takes 4.5 qts, I just changed it.

Here is what the 2002 V92C owner's manual spec page 133 says:
"Engine Oil 6 QT (5.7 ltr)"
on page 74 it says "Fill the crancase through the oil fill cap with 6 quarts (5.7 liters) of the proper grade and viscosity oil"

Here is what the 2005 Hammer owner's manual spec page 153 says:
"Engine Oil 5 Qt (4.75 L) (4.5 Qt at change)"
yet on page 83 it says "Fill the crancase through the oil fill cap with about 4 3/4 quarts (4.5 liters) of oil" obviously a discrepancy.

Regardless of this both engines took 4.5 Qts after being fully drained, new filter installed and run 2-3 minutes. The dip stick needs to be fully screwed in to get an accurate reading. Bottom line, feed it whatever is required to get it to the Full Mark on the stick.
Larry: I am not sure why it only took 4.5 qts. Maybe our stick is too long
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 AM
flatsboy

Duh, sorry, I use the "Gallon" jug I (plus a quart) and when I re-read my post this AM it dawned on me it's a 5 qt jug so I've been using one of these plus a half qt, so 5.5 for mine. It makes me wonder why the Hammer Owners manual calls for 4.5 though. After the change and running the engine it still doesn't take another qt. Also makes me wonder why I'd post anything after tilting a few watching the Twins lose again

Paul, are you saying Sgt H's stick may be too short?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Mike

Quote:
Paul, are you saying Sgt H's stick may be too short?
Wha Wha What? How'd my stick get brought into this?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM
flatsboy

Paul left the door open, couldn't let well enough alone Mike Hope it clears quickly today and you can give your new oil a workout sometime this weekend.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Dan

My 2005 Vegas took 6 qts, it had the 92" motor. From what I understand, the 100" motors and up are 5 qt systems. 6 qts filled it to the full mark after start up.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Pat (MN)

'02 Freedom, empty out, changed filter, add 6 quarts, perfect.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Brian

Same here with my '02 V92. First couple of oil changes had me concerned about overfilling.
But now I add all 6qts. Drain the bottles completely overnight and add that to. Check the stick with the bike level.

Hard part is getting a little more ground clearance (safely) so that a drain pan that holds 6+qt will fit under the bike and you can still get a hand in to pull the plug and filter.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Lee (MN)

Correct oil data

I have a Victory bulletin that I will post when I make a copy, as I don't have it at home. I won't quote the bulletin because I don't have it in front of me. When I post a copy they can decide what their stick tells them and what the bulletin means to them. I know what I do when I service my personal bike and company/customer bikes. 92 cubic inch takes 5.5 quarts and 100 and 106 cubic inch takes 4.5 quarts. Lee