Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Mike (formerly MikeD)

The problem is that I've heard of a number of people who've had their clutch cable break under 10K miles, and the service schedule doesn't call for re-lubricating the cables until the 10K service interval.

If the bushing at the lever end of the clutch doesn't slide around freely, then the cable is getting bent there, which is, I think, the primary cause of whatever breakage people are seeing.

Chances are that most people don't have this problem, but you never see people posting "8500 miles, and my clutch cable hasn't broken yet". But for those who it does happen to, it certainly sucks. Thats why its a good idea to just pull it apart sooner, make sure its all working right, and re-lube it since you've already got it taken apart.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Rob (MN)

Aftermarket levers

Greg,
Your point is well taken, but for the record, I replaced my Stock Levers with Arlen Ness, after my cable broke the second time. One of the reasons I did was because of the wear I observed on the stock levers caused by poor lubrication previously. (the other reason is they are shiny
Then started the PM I've been describing.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 07-26-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added "Greg" to indicate reply to his message.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Chris

Sparky should pin this...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Hank (MN)

Go with Barnett cables and you'll never go back.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Go with Barnett cables and you'll never go back.
I've had two Barnett cables snap on me as well as two or three OEM ones. The Barnett's snapped on the transmission end.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Hank (MN)

Huh! My OEMs broke at the lower end too but the Bartlett cable outlasted both of them. I thought it was smoother and eased the squeeze a little more too.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Dan

The original clutch cable on my 2011 Cross Country finally snapped at the transmission end at 55k miles (Thank-you Mark, for having the Sav-U-Ride along!!). If I get the same mileage out of another OE cable, I should be good for a little while. I am considering converting to hydraulic, tho.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dan View Post
The original clutch cable on my 2011 Cross Country finally snapped at the transmission end at 55k miles (Thank-you Mark, for having the Sav-U-Ride along!!). If I get the same mileage out of another OE cable, I should be good for a little while. I am considering converting to hydraulic, tho.
Wow Dan, You are the first person I have ever heard of with a cable break on the new style perch design. Makes me wonder a little now that Big Red has a little over 40K on her. I do carry the Sav-Ur-Ride in the bag so I guess I'll sleep fine without replacing it...
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Lee (MN)

i just ordered the hydraulic clutch for mine.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Jon

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I broke 2 cables in 2 years so this was much needed
Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Josh

Thanks a ton!

A couple of years ago, based on the advice from folks here (on the forums and in person), I invested in a Sav-U-Ride kit. Glad did. Yesterday, on our way to Sommerset, I snapped my cable at the lever end. 15 minutes later and we were back on our way. Straight-up easy job, and it saved what turned out to be a fantastic day of riding.

Also, we checked out Oliphant Brewing in Sommerset- highly recommended.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Rob

Sav-Ur-Ride

I don't know if I jinxed myself but...this spring I purchased a Sav-Ur-Ride and put the tools needed with it to make a complete kit. Yesterday I had to use it. I have almost 45,000 on the OEM 2005 Kingpin cable. It took about 15 minutes to replace and we were back up and on our way home. Not sure if I want to replace the cable or not. I am thinking I'll just use the Sav-Ur-Ride till it goes and then replace it with another Sav-Ur-Ride which will be back in the bag soon. Any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Joe

There have been a few folks that have used it for longer periods of time, but I am not sure as to the duration.

It was meant to be a temporary fix, but as long as it doesn't present problems and yours doesn't break at the perch, you could try and push the envelope.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Scott

My '05 snapped at 12,000.
Bought the Barnett and lightly filed down the sharp edges on the cable barrel at lever end and the lever slot (stock lever).
I was under the impression that the Barnett clutch cables DO NOT get lubed due to the inner sleeve.
I was told to lube the barrels with a light grease and that's it.
Of course, people lie.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOST VEGAS View Post
My '05 snapped at 12,000.
Bought the Barnett and lightly filed down the sharp edges on the cable barrel at lever end and the lever slot (stock lever).
I was under the impression that the Barnett clutch cables DO NOT get lubed due to the inner sleeve.
I was told to lube the barrels with a light grease and that's it.
Of course, people lie.
That is correct, the Barnett, and the new Vic cables, should never be lubed. IT deteriorates the teflon coating around the wire.

Greasing the pivot points and the barrels is always a good idea though.