Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Mat

Fun -vs- Required Miles

I know this is up there with the oil/tires debate however, I’m sitting at work instead of out on the bike so, I come to you TCVR with my debate….

I understand (on the odometer) a mile is a mile, however, IMO if you are required to get from A to B (work, errands & stuff like that) it shouldn’t count. I know this is a bold statement however, when I toss my leg over the old Vic I know it’s not work/errands related and (for the most part) it’s going to be mindless fun so I can ride free without the stress of the world beating me up…… wow I sound like I’m depressed and dislike my job, I can assure neither apply…. FYI I have rode to work, but it’s not my thing as when I’m on the road 10,000 other people are also on the road (630am & 4pm) and 4,000 of them are texting.

Any who I am officially starting this debate.

Ding Ding round 1 
Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Bill (Webmaster)

Okay you want the pot stirred I'm in. Me I do not think running 1000 miles in 24 hours is riding either. I ride to see and be with nature. Stopping to take pictures and enjoy. Riding for endurance for me adds to the stress rather than releave.

Now not being my thing, sure does seem to be others. So ride on.

Sparky_Bill
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_Bill View Post
Okay you want the pot stirred I'm in. Me I do not think running 1000 miles in 24 hours is riding either. I ride to see and be with nature. Stopping to take pictures and enjoy. Riding for endurance for me adds to the stress rather than releave.

Now not being my thing, sure does seem to be others. So ride on.
As of now I plan to do a SS1k so I can take it off my bucket list, so, who knows if I will/will not like it. I agree with you 110% on the to be with and see nature, some times it's a blur but that's a minor point

Sparky when you were a "working man" did you ride to/from work?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Chris

meh, ride how you want. some people enjoy riding to work as long as they are riding.
Some prefer the challenges presented by Long Distance Riding. The planning, work and all stages of it.
Some prefer to do trips.
Some like to stop and take pictures.
Some don't like to stop to take pictures since they would rather be riding the fun roads (this person is brilliant, btw).
Some folks don't like to plan a route on a trip and just go where the road leads them.
Some prefer to have a planned route so they know they will hit as many fun roads as possible.
Some just like riding group rides for fund raisers that usually start out at a dealer that gives away hot dogs and popcorn.
Heck some just like to go bar to bar or to the bar and park it outside while they walk around in their chaps and vest.

On a trip do the miles I put in to get out of the flat lands count as fun or work? the 700 miles of boredom to Rapid City, SD before I can find the fun road count which way? The 1100 miles (if I hump it down) to Helen, GA for the SEVR, fun or work before I get to run the Dragon and Cherohala or Moonshiner?

Fun vs required riding is all a matter of rider perspective. Ride the way you want, enjoy the way you ride and let others enjoy they way they ride.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowebote View Post
meh, ride how you want. some people enjoy riding to work as long as they are riding.
Some prefer the challenges presented by Long Distance Riding. The planning, work and all stages of it.
Some prefer to do trips.
Some like to stop and take pictures.
Some don't like to stop to take pictures since they would rather be riding the fun roads (this person is brilliant, btw).
Some folks don't like to plan a route on a trip and just go where the road leads them.
Some prefer to have a planned route so they know they will hit as many fun roads as possible.
Some just like riding group rides for fund raisers that usually start out at a dealer that gives away hot dogs and popcorn.
Heck some just like to go bar to bar or to the bar and park it outside while they walk around in their chaps and vest.

On a trip do the miles I put in to get out of the flat lands count as fun or work? the 700 miles of boredom to Rapid City, SD before I can find the fun road count which way? The 1100 miles (if I hump it down) to Helen, GA for the SEVR, fun or work before I get to run the Dragon and Cherohala or Moonshiner?

Fun vs required riding is all a matter of rider perspective. Ride the way you want, enjoy the way you ride and let others enjoy they way they ride.
Well said Chris, well said..... somebody get this man a beer and not the cheap shit either
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Rick

Every mile is a good mile.
...Well, unless it's raining. That sucks.

Most days that I can, I will ride to work. Makes the commute more fun. But I'm in the suburbs, which is probably a little less sucky than being in the middle of town and the heart of congestion.

Also, I'm much more enthusiastic when I can take the XC up to pickup a gallon of milk. In the Winter, I've been known to say "Screw it, melt some snow for your cereal." In the Summer, it's more like: "Should I get you some real Wisconsin milk, Honey?"
Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Mark (formerly Mark2112)

Me, I like all kinds of riding. No matter the "type" of ride, I enjoy riding with my friends in small and large groups, sometimes by myself.
  • I love riding to work, weather permitting, as it is relaxing being out in the wind and helps me decompress
    I love riding in groups on the weekends doing those damn alphabet roads and stopping to eat
    I love riding for the view and stopping to see things, though most people I ride with (Dan & Chris) don't tend to do that (stop and look that is)
    I love riding for vacations, 8-10 days at a time, to see new places, ride amazing roads and hang out with friends.
    I love riding for endurance, SS and longer rides, because I like the "achievement" of the ride, doing something few have done and being recognized for it (it's cool)
    I like riding courses, to sharpen my skills become a better, more confident and safer rider. A track day might be fun also!

I guess I just like riding and I do all of the above as much as I can with different folks in the group. If I could get more time off work I would ride more than the 14k-15K miles I have been putting on each summer

The way I see it as long as you can get out on the road it does not matter. Ride on and be safe.

All miles are required (ride as much as you can!), and all miles are fun one way or another, even hours in the pouring raid on a group SS, because they give you stories you can relate to your fellow riders while having a beer some time.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 10-20-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I h8 winter View Post
Sparky when you were a "working man" did you ride to/from work?
I have always rode to work. As far back as the 60's

Sparky_Bill
Old 10-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:

Well said Mr. Rowebote, well said. PS did not see I h8 winter's post before posting this. LOL

Quote:
Well except for this one, these are NOT riders, just posers.

Sparky_Bill
Old 10-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Joe

Quote:
Some prefer the challenges presented by Long Distance Riding. The planning, work and all stages of it. Been there, done that once. NOt my cup of tea
Some prefer to do trips. Absolutely. Try to every year
Some like to stop and take pictures. Guilty, as long as it has some interest
Some don't like to stop to take pictures since they would rather be riding the fun roads (this person is brilliant, btw). Yup, I'm this person as well
Some folks don't like to plan a route on a trip and just go where the road leads them. Guilty. Led to one of my better trips!
Some prefer to have a planned route so they know they will hit as many fun roads as possible. Guilty again. Different type of ride
Some just like riding group rides for fund raisers that usually start out at a dealer that gives away hot dogs and popcorn. Did this many years ago. Sid was a big fan of some of these. Now I can't imagine doing the 100 mile ride with 3 bar stops ever again - unless it was a personal cause
Heck some just like to go bar to bar or to the bar and park it outside while they walk around in their chaps and vest. Never
I have also ridden hundreds of miles out of the way to get to a particular road, and once planned a trip to California to take one road!!!

I look at A to B as "utility" riding and a means to an end. They're all good miles though.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 PM
John

Quote:
I ride to see and be with nature. Stopping to take pictures and enjoy.
Sparky must define "Nature" as:
-Riding to a restaurant that serves a portion large enough for a Regimen
-Take a picture of this "Nature"
(post "Nature" pic to Facebook)
-Eat that "Nature" like a starved wolf.

ha....."Nature".... good one Sparky!

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Kevin

Someone needs to watch "Why We Ride"

I ride whenever I can. In the summer time that usually means avoiding the rain in the morning as I don't want to be wet or deal with changing clothes at work. After work, not a problem as I can change clothes when I get home.

I prefer my bike in rush hour traffic. I can hear what is going on around me. I can maneuver better than anyone else out there so I can get out of the way better. Now this year that I got my Yamaha back up and running I prefer that in rush hour traffic because it isn't the big beast the XC is. If electric bikes make it to 100 miles average on a charge I would seriously think about that as my commute bike.

On weekends I do the joy riding. Either in groups like with your guys or on my own. I may have a destination, I may not. I also do joy rides after work if it was a stressful day. When I am on my bike I am not thinking about anything, just enjoying the moment. Great way to clear the head.

I want to do a SS1k sometime. Most likely an AVGSS as I would rather do that with other people. I will enjoy it but I don't think it is something I would want to do all the time. I definitely don't want to do my first one the way a friend of mine did his. He just went straight out the Wall and back. OMG, one of the most boring drives ever.

I need to get a working GPS again. It is possible, and it has happened a couple of times, where I have been out joy riding and I get into a state of zen where I lose track of time and where I am at. I have "magically" ended up 4 hours away from where I started without realizing it. Hence why I have a GPS on my bike so I can find my way back home.

That is my most favorite style of riding because you never know what you will come across. I came across a great ma & pa ice cream shop on the opposite side of Lake Winnebago when I lived in Oshkosh, WI.

That also combines very well with one of my year round hobbies - geocaching. You never know what interesting stuff you will find geocaching. I will often pick an area I want to drive to and then search for caches in that area. There is one on Cty Rd O I need to stop and find sometime.

In the summer time the bike competes with other hobbies of mine that compete for nice weather. For example, my brother in law got me into shooting clays. I also fly radio controlled aircraft. I do like to go fishing.

Luckily I can incorporate my bike into each of those most of the time. I have a gun case I can wear like a backpack. I have gone to the gun range on my bike. I am not the only one, at least one other guy does. I just picked up a small 15" wingspan Corsair plane that should fit in my saddlebags. I need to make some type of filler to keep it stable in the saddlebag. I do have a quad copter and a backpack for that. As for fishing I just put a small tackle box in the bag and strap the rod to my back seat. Though I did see a 6 section rod that could break down small enough to fit in a saddlebag. It can really only handle smaller fish like pan fish and bass, but that type of fishing is fun also.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Chris

Quote:

Well except for this one, these are NOT riders, just posers.
Hey! I reassemble that remark!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150731_191406.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	5490  
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Kyle

Don't you always have a choice to ride or not? Yes I have to go to work, but I take the bike to make the trip more enjoyable. It seems to be a better day when I know I hop on the bike for lunch and to go home.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Mike

For me........

Any ride is a worth while ride. Whether it be a mile to get a bag of ice or a gallon of milk or 1300 miles to ride with my brothers and sisters on the AVGSS1000.