Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Wayne

Heated grips cause accelerator to stick

I added heated grips to my '11 Cross Country when I purchased it and they work find but this year the right grip (accelerator) stays on when I release it as if it's on cruise control. I have to turn it down, the spring return, or whatever it's called, doesn't work when it's warmed up. I'm waiting for a return call from Northway as their techs are out at a training session today. Anyone else have this problem and know what I can do like spray lubricant or something?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes View Post
I added heated grips to my '11 Cross Country when I purchased it and they work find but this year the right grip (accelerator) stays on when I release it as if it's on cruise control. I have to turn it down, the spring return, or whatever it's called, doesn't work when it's warmed up. I'm waiting for a return call from Northway as their techs are out at a training session today. Anyone else have this problem and know what I can do like spray lubricant or something?

Thanks!
Take the grip off and clean under it and inside the tube. They get gunk under them.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Wayne

Didn't have time today to check how to take the grip off to clean under it. Had to do final preparations for the Ride For Dads tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Steve

Check to make 100% certain that the wire for the heater is not hanging up on the edge of the cruise box. Mine was doing that...just had to relocate the running of the wire and all was good.

Current Ride: 2012 XCT
Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Wayne

I wish it was that easy. It only sticks when the heat is on and, apparently, what happens is the grip expands and rubs on the chrome end piece. I need to move the chrome end cap out a little without breaking it, I'm told.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 AM
John

Quote:
I wish it was that easy. It only sticks when the heat is on and, apparently, what happens is the grip expands and rubs on the chrome end piece. I need to move the chrome end cap out a little without breaking it, I'm told.
Are you talking about the handle bar end? If it like the Vision, they have a hex bolt that attaches them to the handle bar.
Simply unbolt and add a washer.

I had to do that with some Custom bars I had made - just needs a little washer to shim. You will never notice it.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Wayne

John, I wish it had a hex bolt. Friend with same problem said the dealer told him to try to pry it or apply a flat bar or screw driver and gently pound or push it towards the end to give it more space. I tried a little and gave it maybe a 1/32 more room but it still acts a lil like cruise control when it's warmed up. Don't want to break the chrome end piece. It either fits really, really tight or it's got glue on it, I think.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Joe

Quote:
John, I wish it had a hex bolt. Friend with same problem said the dealer told him to try to pry it or apply a flat bar or screw driver and gently pound or push it towards the end to give it more space. I tried a little and gave it maybe a 1/32 more room but it still acts a lil like cruise control when it's warmed up. Don't want to break the chrome end piece. It either fits really, really tight or it's got glue on it, I think.
It shouldn't have glue on it - it's really just a pressure fitting. Mine came loose over time so I just put a piece of electrical tape on it and problem solved.

I didn't have the same issue you are having though. And, I am not quite sure I understand how it happens. The grip has a plastic core that the rubber element attaches to, so I would be a bit surprised if that expanded, but I am not an engineer. Nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Wayne

Joe, the rubber grip expands when it gets warm. It shrinks back up when it cools down and the throttle turns and springs back easily. Good to know there is no glue on the end piece. I'll work on it some more and get myself a little working room so it doesn't stick. Thanks,.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Rick

FYI = My 2014 XCT with Heated Grips had the handlebar end cap chrome piece silicone in place. Unfortunately, it was so loose, that it fell out. This was within the first month. No problem, Red Wing found another end, and really silicon-ed it in, good.

No problems with the throttle return while using the heated grips lately.

Wayne are your heated grips Victory OEM? I don't recall you having an XCT.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Wayne

Rick,

My 2011 XC is not a tour but I added heated grips and seats and Northway installed them. I'm going to try to use a screw driver or something, put between rubber and chrome end piece and hammer it out a bit more than I did my first attempt. I keep putting it off, however, as now that I know what it is, I've been dealing with it and just know to turn accelerator when shifting and it's not a problem. Don't want to break the end piece and have to deal with a replacement.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 AM
Tony

Well don't quote me on this too much since I don't know about all plastics out there, but I've always been told plastic shrinks when it heats up. Take a torch to a milk jug or a lighter to the plastic around a cigarette pack. The I.D. of the plastic throttle tube may get smaller. Metal on the other hand expands. If your clearance is that tight it may make sense. Like Joe said, not an engineer.....

Not saying this is the best fix or anything, but the Craigslist bars I bought for ol'99 were a little screwy. I think the bar may have had a slight curve and the end was a little flared out. Grip got really tight when shoved on all the way. I didn't really care much about these bars, so I cut about 1/4" off the end with a pipe cutter way too small to do the job. Then before deburring it, I shoved the throttle grip on and off several times and let the sharp edge ream the plastic throttle tube. Crumby garage repair, but fixed my issue.

You could consider a quick way to ream it out. Get like a 1/4" O.D. round bar or pipe. Cut slot in the end of it. Chuck it up in a drill motor. Slide some fine sand paper in the slot. Run it in and out of the throttle tube. Your probably only needing a few thousands more clearance if your sure that's where the bind is at.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Wayne

Tony,

Appreciate the suggestions. For the little I use the heated grips, I'll live with it til next summer when I'll have more time to figure something out. If it's not the rubber that heats up and expands to tighten it, I'll try to figure out what it is and go from there.