Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Steve

Cut Down Factory Tall Windshield

Looking for someone in Western Burb's (I live in St. Louis Park) that's cut down a windshield. I've got a '12 XCT and I can't stand looking through the tall windshield. Low stock shield is worthless for wind protection. I've bought a Cee Bailey Dragon and that's better but still not great.

Thinking a cut down of my factory tall shield might be the ticket. But I'm chicken to try it myself. Anyone with any experience that can either give me tips, or I can just pay you to help me do it?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM
flatsboy

craz1 Wayne can do it
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Greg

Bucket

Sit on the bike and put tape on the windshield to determine the height and curve. Tape off both sides of the windshield and put the cut line on the tape.
Cut with your tool of choice (hacksaw, power cutting tool etc.). After the cut you will have to do some filing to clean up the edge. Leave the tape on while filing so you don't scratch the windshield. Should take 1-2 hours.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
John

I cover the windshield with masking tape then with a compass an pencil I trace across the top to get the same curve. Now with jig saw and fine tooth blade I hold it on my lap and cut. Take your time no need to rush.
Now with sand pappier 180 grits wrapped around a board I sand when its where I want it I then use 600 grit and taking your time get it as smooth as you can then 2000 to really make it smooth.
Now blow chips off or whip real genteel. Mount and your done.
Becarefull when sanding you don't roll over the edge and scratch the other side. NO sanding sponge
http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Leonar...ss+with+pencil