Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

View Poll Results: How often do you wear a helmet?
Always 100% would'nt leave home without it. 37 54.41%
Never Have'nt wont ain't gonna wear no helmet. 3 4.41%
Sometimes more than 50%. 16 23.53%
Sometimes less than 50% only for cold or rain ect. 12 17.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Jeff

Who wears a Helmet

Just curious, I have given it some thought lately havent worn one since I was on a permit at 19 and that was'nt even 100% usage.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Ted

I voted %100 however that isn't totally accurate, I'm more like %99.5. I do occationally ride to the grocery store without a helmet.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
I voted %100 however that isn't totally accurate, I'm more like %99.5. I do occationally ride to the grocery store without a helmet.
Me too. Once in a while I will ride without a helmet, but 99% of the time I have some type of lid on my head. I just don't feel comfortable on the bike without one.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Same here.

Sparky_Bill
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Joe

I'm in the 80%+ category...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Todd

I only wear one if the law says I have to. Statistically you do survive crashes more but do you really want to? I wouldn't want to have someone responsible for changing my diapers and feeding me for the next 20 yrs!!! The Tattoo says it on my chest!!! Do Not Revive!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Mike (formerly MikeD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_Bill View Post
Same here.
Same here too (is that redundant and repetitive?)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Greg

I'm around 60/40. On long rides helmets are a must. Around town on a nice day it's great to feel the wind. It is your choice and I don't think it should be regulated
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBVic View Post
It is your choice and I don't think it should be regulated
Agreed. I just don't believe I'm a good enough rider to take any more risk than I'm already taking.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Rick

About 10% of my miles are wearing a helmet. Usually because it's pretty cold out, raining, or required by law.

I absolutely hate riding in traffic with a lid, because I'm mush less aware of all thats going on around me. I usually feel the aproach of that souped up honda civic and catch an impression of the soccor mom in the tank yelling at her kids as she's making an unintended lane change. I miss a lot of that stuff when a full or 3/4 helmet. I'd rather avoid an accident than survive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrareborn View Post
Statistically you do survive crashes more but do you really want to? I wouldn't want to have someone responsible for changing my diapers and feeding me for the next 20 yrs!!!
I soooo agree with this.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Chris

I'm in line with Greg. I've been trying to wear mine more this year but in years past the only time I did was when required by law or weather. It's a lot easier and warmer to throw on a bucket than a facemask, hat, etc for colder weather. I ride my bike the 25 miles to work and so far this year I have worn it each time and my intent is to wear it all the time on the commute. Last night I took SwampDonkey out for his first run down Welch Village road and decided to go without it though. It's nice having the wind in my lack of hair sometimes. We'll see how diligent I am if summer ever gets here and its 90 degrees out.

Chris
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrareborn View Post
I only wear one if the law says I have to. Statistically you do survive crashes more but do you really want to? I wouldn't want to have someone responsible for changing my diapers and feeding me for the next 20 yrs!!! The Tattoo says it on my chest!!! Do Not Revive!!!
Going to have to disagree with the latter part. You're much less likely to have brain damage in the event of an accident with a skid lid than not. Now...with or without, there's still the rest of the body which could end in being paralyzed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBVic View Post
I'm around 60/40. On long rides helmets are a must. Around town on a nice day it's great to feel the wind. It is your choice and I don't think it should be regulated
If I were to go without, I'd be more inclined to go without on the slab than around town. At highway speeds, there's so much more than just the noggin that'll jack you up. Additonally, a very low percentage (roughly 15%) of all accidents occur on interstates and the like. You're more likely to have an oops off the slab than on it.

As for me, I always wear a helmt, though typically a half helmet. They provide good protection, but obviously not the best possible. I guess I wear it (and my other gear) for the same reason I click my seat belt every time I get in to the cage. While I know there are a lot scenarios in either situation where wearing it could be bad (as anti-helmet riders or anti-seatbelt wearers are always quick to point out), the odds of it helping are higher. With that said, I am 100% against helmet laws. Whenever my friends want to get in to riding, I just tell them two things: First, just educate yourself on proper protection and what the consequences are (good and bad)...make an informed decision. Secondly, kneel down on the road and run your hand over it and ask if you're goin to skid along that for 100', give or take, what do you want between you and it. From there, it's their choice.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Rob

Always...now.

I didn't always wear a helmet. Mainly because it was cooler to wear a bandanna. That all changed the day I was on Hwy35 during the flood run a couple of years ago.
Boots and I were headed North and had to stop coming down a small hill. Traffic was backed up in both directions as the second Life Flight helicopter left the road. 2 riders clipped pegs going oposet directions sending them to the hospital. Both with head injuries and neither were wearing a helmet. Our helmets were sitting in the garage collecting dust and the thought of taking my kids parents away because we didn’t put on our helmets made me feel pretty silly.
I am all for personal choice on this and don’t think it should be a law to wear a helmet.
With that said the fact is that you are more likely to survive an accident and keep all your marbles intack if you wear a bucket. Bones and skin will heal. Your brain might not.
Ride safe my friends.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Kurt (MN)

I was not one for wearing a helmet in the past. Fact is I hated it! I just reciently sold my racecar's & bought a bike after not riding for many years. My kids & Mom got on me about not wearing a helmet. Their arguement was I would strap into a racecar & would not think twice about NOT putting a lid on. Plus fire suit & shoes. Why would I not put one on to ride plus proper gear?

Needlees to say I had to agree & have been wearing one latley. Plus just went on Ride & met some of TCVR Crew. Was suprised how many were wearing buckets. Also with Ducth & Sparky's recient wild rides. Knowing both had one on think I'll keep mine on too.

Kurt
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
John

On the Victory - 99.95 (since I went down) - I miss not wearing it everyday. but If I continue, eventually, I will get used to it.
Unless I take grandma for a ride - my theory is: If god is going to take me when I am giving my 86 year old gma for a ride, than it was my time to go.

On the Honda Moped - very little...

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.