Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Write To Ride

Write To Ride Sometimes to protect our right to ride we must write our politicians.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Call your representative to support this bill

Rep. Steve Drazkowski introduces anti-motorcycle profiling bill
http://kmsp.m0bl.net/r/22elkg #MyFOX9

Sparky_Bill
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Wayne

I surely will and so will my River Riders ABATE members. We've been pushing for such a bill for years.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Here is some more info.

Minnesota State Reps. Steve Drazkowski (R-Mazeppa), Cindy Pugh (R-Chanhassen), John Petersburg (R-Waseca), Jim Newberger (R-Becker), Greg Davids (R-Preston) and Jim Nash (R-Waconia) have introduced a bill to prevent motorcyclist profiling.

Take Action
Please ask your representative today to support H.F. 59.

Minnesota H.F. 59 would prohibit law enforcement officers from using “the fact that a person rides a motorcycle or wears motorcycle-related accouterments as a factor in deciding stop and question, take enforcement action, arrest, or search a person or vehicle.”

It would also require law enforcement agencies to develop a statewide model training policy to reduce and eliminate motorcycle profiling.

“Many motorcyclists never experience profiling and most police officers do not profile. This bill would provide that riders enjoy the same protections as other motorists and never have to experience profiling,” said Wayne Allard, vice president of government relations at the American Motorcyclist Association.

If you are not yet an AMA member, please join the AMA to help us fight efforts to restrict responsible motorized recreation. More members means more clout against our opponents, and your support will help us fight for your riding rights – on the road, trail, racetrack, and in the halls of government. To join, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

Sparky_Bill
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 PM
John

First, you know I would support a bill like this.

But have a question, Aren't there already anti-profiling laws that should cover this, only if they were enforced?

Am not trying to start a ravishing debate here - looking for more info.
We pass new bills everyday, many turn into law. The law books continue to grow, but it seems enforcement of laws already passed into law; don't get enforced? Why?

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ritz View Post
First, you know I would support a bill like this.

But have a question, Aren't there already anti-profiling laws that should cover this, only if they were enforced?

Am not trying to start a ravishing debate here - looking for more info.
We pass new bills everyday, many turn into law. The law books continue to grow, but it seems enforcement of laws already passed into law; don't get enforced? Why?
That's a great question John!

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I haven't experienced any profiling on my bike. In fact, most cops are pretty cool to bikers and I have even been given a pass once or twice when I was getting a little, ahem, aggressive with the throttle.

I will send a note to my rep though. Although I have a feeling he is pretty tired of hearing from me and may have me blocked...
Old 02-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Kyle

Bill, what's up with that list? I didn't see any names with a D in front of them?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Rick

Really, Kyle? You had to stick a nickel in him?

Meth is still a huge problem in the US. Sadly, a fair amount of the issue meth issue in the upper Midwest is related to MC Clubs/Gangs. Even the guy (David Winters) from the Wednesday city wide manhunt has a strong Meth / Biker Gang connection.

Is the ability to profile a useful tool to law enforcement? and how often has it been abused?

How many of us in the TCVR have been profiled?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
How many of us in the TCVR have been profiled?
I have been but only by the lady cops.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Kyle

Of course I did.
I've been pulled over 3 times in 36+ years of riding(while on a bike. Not gonna get into car numbers).
Never received a ticket.

I think this comes from the practice in some states of motorcycle only checkpoints.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerX View Post
I think this comes from the practice in some states of motorcycle only checkpoints.
Hm. Would weigh stations then be considered profiling against big rigs? LOL That's a smart ass joke, but I wonder if that could someday be considered true. And I also wonder if those states have a legitimate reason for motorcycle only checkpoints.

Profiling can be used as either harassment or a tool for law enforcement in my tiny perception of it. I'm all for the bill if it helps those that attempt to keep us all safe and enforce the laws learn the different between harassment profiling and profiling as a tool for their job. I'm just not sure I'm clear on how that bill will help. That political mumbo jumbo is often over my head. Is it a hot button topic for them to secure a segment of votes or a legitimate effort to help law enforcement know to not profile to the point of harassment?

Perhaps someone with a better political mind then mine explain that better. (or maybe I should just email that to my rep.)

And I seem to only get profiled when I'm speeding or roll through a stop sign. oh wait.... nm.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Joe

Kyle -

Were the motorcycle only checkpoints in states that mandate safety checks when you renew tags?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Kyle

No Joe, they were used like DUI check points except they only made bikes go thru them, then fish for a reason to further detain. In the end I suppose the only ones arrested deserved it, but seems like a huge waste of resources compared to amount of arrests.

If you google motorcycle only checkpoints you can find a lot of info for both sides of the issue.
There is a bill in U.S. Senate now to stop moc.