Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Bill (Webmaster)

If I Had A Hammer.....catchy tune

If I had a Hammmer AND Ness pipes installed I would take off the lower belt guard. Victory has had 5 of them break off with those pipes and cause a lot of damage to the rear componets. This has not happened on bikes with the factory pipes as those were tested for many miles.

If you has this set up contact your dealer and question them. Victory I think had covered the damage so far but that might change as it is not their pipes.

Sparky_Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
JohnnyIron

Is it the belt guard that is breaking off? Is there a bracket that gets removed in order to install the Ness pipes?

Or does the heat from those pipes being discharged in the belt guards direction that does something?

Fill us in Sparky....inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIron
Is it the belt guard that is breaking off? Is there a bracket that gets removed in order to install the Ness pipes?

Or does the heat from those pipes being discharged in the belt guards direction that does something?

Fill us in Sparky....inquiring minds want to know!
What is braking is the lower belt guard from the swing arm. 2 bolts hold it and I think you have the same guard on the Vegas but not a problem with those, just the Hammer's with the Ness pipes. I don't think they know yet why. Could be harmonics from the pipes discharging next to it or the heat from the same. You just remove the two bolts and it comes right off. That's all I know. You know folks at corporate, ask them, they know better than I.

Sparky_Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 AM
JohnnyIron

It would seem to be something related to the pipes dumping down right next to the guard.

My pipes are Santa Rosea and they dump out to the right (so the car next to you can really hear them! ) but the Ness pipes dump out straight down.

The Bike that Outlundor has been riding from Mies has this Ness Pipe Set-up on the Hammer.

Otlandor, have you heard of this, and have your removed your belt guard? Sounds like you should.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:44 PM
JohnnyIron

I checked with Vic Corp, and they said that they have heard that Ness is telling their dealers that they should remove this guard, but since these pipes are not from Victory, they have no recommendation......
Old 08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Russell (MN)

ness pipes on a vegas

Has any one heard of this happening on a vegas with ness pipes ?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
outlander

We had heard of this problem, so we removed ours when we installed the ness pipes, We dont make any recommendations, but if we took ours off you can guess what we think. I have not heard of any problems with the vegas, but we have been putting on santa rosa ace pipes.
Kurt
Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Bill (Webmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmith
Has any one heard of this happening on a vegas with ness pipes ?
Not a problem with the Vegas, just the Hammer as Outlander just confirmed what I stated in my second post here.

Sparky_Bill
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Rick

I asked a Vic engineer about this at the Open House today. (Actually he brought it up). He said that the air pressure coming out of the pipes caused the belt guard to move back and forth, which fatigued the metal, and cause it to break. He said it also happens with the Santa Rosa pipes. I asked him about the Vegas and Kingpin, and he said the same problem could happen. He recommended removing the belt guard when putting on any of the real short pipes.

Of course, this isn't an official recommendation.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Russell (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_Bill
Not a problem with the Vegas, just the Hammer as Outlander just confirmed what I stated in my second post here.
Yeah just wanted to make sure. thank you very much. Now I can rest easy
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
JohnnyIron

The Ace pipes don't point anywhere near the belt guard so I don't see it having any effect on the belt guard at all.