Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Wayne (MN)

fork seals

Anyone ever attempt to change the fork seals on an older Victory? I am thinking of doing it myself to save the 400 bucks the dealer wants. I have been a mechanic for my whole life so I think I could do it. Could use some tips or suggestions. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by perksdlx2001 View Post
Anyone ever attempt to change the fork seals on an older Victory? I am thinking of doing it myself to save the 400 bucks the dealer wants. I have been a mechanic for my whole life so I think I could do it. Could use some tips or suggestions. Thanks.
Hey Wayne -

Haven't done the older Vic's but have done some of the new ones ('05 and newer). If you do it on your own, you may have to rig some sort of device (I used split PVC pipe) to set the metal seals inside the cartridge. Also, having an exact measuring device to ensure the proper amount of fork oil is pretty important. If you have a service manual, the procedure is pretty straight forward, but the device/tool to set the seals is pretty important.

In the end, I would call Northway and see what they would charge to do the service if you bring them the fork cartridges. That usually saves about half the labor charge that you would incur by having someone else take the cartridges off the bike and out them back on.

If you do it on your own, check the Witchdoctors channel on YouTube for an instructional video. He has a lot of good info out there and in conjunction with the manual, I have no doubt you could do it yourself. He also sells the seal kit, so worth thinking about.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Mark

I have a fork seal leaking on my 06 Kingpin too. Been reading a bit about the seal mate tool to see if that will fix it and will give it a try next week. Will make my own out of a plastic milk jug, smoothing out the sharp edges after cutting out the pattern. You Tube it and you'll see what I'm taking about.

http://sealmate.net/

Has anyone on this site tried it? Thanks.

Mark
Wayzata
Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Mark

Update. Used the below recommendation on my fork seal and I cleaned out some debris in it. Followed the procedures to reseat the seal and all is fixed. Hope it works for you. Cost was zero dollars and 15 minutes.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Rick

Cool. I've used the 'ol "35mm film" trick before with pretty good success. I've been terrible about keeping my forks clean.

I got about 70,000 miles before having to actually replace the seals on my Vegas. I did the fluid and springs at the same time.

I'm at about 70k on my XC now and tried a real SealMate (borrowed from a friend) and didn't have much success. I'm thinking of doing the full re-work of the forks this Winter. Seals, fluid, springs and dampers.