Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Dan

Projects and Fab Shops

Hello Everyone:

I haven’t participated much here but I do check in often to see what's new. I joined this forum last summer after buying a used 2008 Vision around mid-July.

After putting on just over 4,000 miles on the vision I can say I do like the bike and plan to ride it until I can’t find parts. I am looking for a second touring bike of some kind. Not totally sure yet but I do like the new Road Glides. If/when I get another bike I plan on removing the trunk from the Vision and use it as my run around bike.

Anyway, the one thing I didn’t like about the Vision was the radio, very poor reception. Even close to major cities where you would think you would be able to get something many times it was just static. When I plugged in my phone, only the left speakers worked. I contacted the company that built the radios for Victory, and the lady was very helpful, but stated that at that time the radios were not made to support the current IPhones.

This brings me to my current project. This winter I decided to replace the radio with an Amp, Bluetooth receiver and new speakers.

The first pic is the 3D printed bracket for mounting the Amp where the radio used to be. I was concerned about the heat issues with the amp and engine so I contacted the amp manufacturer and was told it is not the ideal situation but it should be ok.

The other pic is the Bluetooth receiver mounted with another 3D printed bracket.

I guess what this is boiling down to is does anyone know of a shop who is willing to work with someone who is looking to do very small quantities?

I have drawings and can supply whatever file they require.

Thanks

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8263.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	6238  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8278.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	6239  
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Chris

this isn't going to totally answer your questions but first for the radio reception. Make sure it is plugged in and plugged in well in both spots. At the radio head it may appear plugged in but only be slid in a little. In the front fairing, make sure that the connector is plugged in to the hidden antenna. a lot of people can miss this when putting the cover/fairing back on. The only time I ran into an issue with reception was when the plug came out at the reciever head. I was in the middle of St. Louis and could not get a radio station to come in.

For the amp, most people are mounting amps on the left side gas tank and wire the speakers into that. I myself am considering getting a little apline amp to go there. some of the bigger amps won't fit but this is a good spot for a lot of amps. It's got air flow for cooling and is protected enough from the elements. Maybe look at leaving your stock radio head in place and adding an amp to it. There is someone on vision-riders.com and the two vision facebook groups that has replaced the entire system with a new Kenwood radio head. He had to cut and make some adaptations to his dash panel for it to fit. it looks pretty good. you might want to hit him up and see what he did.

For local small quantity stuff, maybe hit up G&S custom or Mafia customs. I don't know if they do this sort of thing but they ar Victory guys and it wouldn't hurt to check with them.

Chris
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Greg

Thanks for the mention Chris . I personally like to work with solid metiral and Brad is very good with welding and bending , if you email your prints I'll tell what I can do or can't . Scholert3@hotmail.com
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Roy

i phone

ive had the left or right side channel issue on my vision
ended up that connecter wasn't plugged all the way in
they have a hook on both sides have to wiggle the
connecter make sure is tight also j&m replacement
speakers work good but are a little high in midrange
not as much bass but clear over stock roy
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 AM
Dan

Thanks for the replies:

Chris – Yes I tinkered with it for a few months checking connections, trying different antennas without any good results.

After going for a ride on one of those warm late November days last fall and basically hearing either static or every 5th word coming from the radio I decided to replace it with something different. I will use my phone for music and/or stream my radio stations thru it. Hell I pay enough for the service why not use it.

I found a marine rated amp that fits nicely in the area where the radio fits.

My concern is the heat. If I think it needs some venting/airflow I will design a small air intake and have it 3D printed and mounts it to provide air flow to the amp. My mounting bracket uses the same bole pattern as the radio and the amp will then be fastened to the bracket. I also picked up a new console that doesn’t have the openings for the radio buttons. I will try to get more pic posted later.

G&S – Thank you for the offer to help.

Right now I have the brackets out to a couple of waterjet cutters to quote. I did find a local guy that does a lot of stampings and forming. He said he would work with me for the forming if I can get them cut. The shapes don’t fit his stamping process very well.

When I first got the bike I up graded to the J&M speakers. I don’t think it was much of an upgrade for what I paid for them, very disappointed with them. I am going to be using Alpine speakers.

More later

Thanks
Dan