Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS

Rides, Gatherings, Events, Rally's & Friendly BS This is where we share our passion for our Victory's. Help others with their machines and organize to ride, ride..........ride.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Chris (MN)

OIL?

saw this on you tube
http://youtu.be/PbXl0XVwR6Y
Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 AM
James (MN)

I saw that a couple weeks ago.

Not trying to be negative, but it seems like scare tactics to me.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Joe

Not sure if it's scare tactics or not, but I have seen cases where Amsoil, et. al, were used and had some pretty significant effects on the drivetrain.

I know that there are people that swear by that stuff, but I guess you have to ask the question " is it really worth saving $15 - $25 an oil change when the end result might be the need for a new set of gears?"

Especially considering most people ride less than 5K a year,that's 2 changes a year at best.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Paul

Options on oil is like belly buttons we all have one. The modern day oils are all designed to transfer heat. With Victory having a common crank and transmission along with a wet clutch a oil designed for Victory seems to make sense.

Some of the problems you hear about is clutch slip with other oils when they go back to Victory Oil the slip goes away. As horse power goes up clutch slip is more of a problem. The engines are now 106 ci and the torque going up all the time now add a Stage I or II one really needs to watch slippage.

My 2 cents or belly button worth.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Ted

The video says "Release the Heat??" That's what the oil cooler is for isn't it??..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Mark (MN)

Question Victory Oil vs. Other Oils

I did a search before posting this topic hoping to find the info I was looking for. It helped but my specific question wasn't addressed & the info was older so I thought I would post a new topic.

Its the age old question of do you really have to use the OEM oil for oil changes. Of course the dealers will tell you that you have to but we all know that is not the case all the time.

I have a 2006 Vegas Jackpot that is stock except the stage 2 kit (exhause, open air box w/K&N filter but no major tuning) & have considered going with a different oil than the Victory stuff.

I put about 6-8k or more miles on my Victory each year but a total of about 15-20k between my bikes so saving money on maintenance would be nice!!

I'm looking to switch to Castrol's motorcycle oil. Does anyone know of any problems with doing this or have any other suggestions on weight/brand/etc?

Post up & let the discussion begin!!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Ted

While I don't use Castrol, I do use Amsoil in all my bikes and after 68k I haven't had any engine/ oil related issues.

here's to another 68K
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Mark (MN)

Well that is comforting to know. I think I'll switch to the Castrol & see what happens. I leave Friday morning to ride around Lake Superior & am changing the oil before the trip.

By the time I get home I should have a good indication if its going to be a problem or not. But then again, maybe I should wait until after the trip so I don't have any problems while up there.

We'll see how it goes!!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Ted

What's your route? Going clockwise or counter clockwise?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Mark (MN)

We're going to go counter clockwise. Two groups...one leaving Fri morning, the other leaving in the afternoon. Going to be a lot of miles since we plan to be back to the Cities by Sunday evening!!

I've wanted to do this ride for a long time now so I'm glad to finally get it in. I choose my Victory over the GSX-R for the ride so I'm more comfortable. I'm thinking that was a wise choice!!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Ted

Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Dan

My concern is how it interacts with the clutch plates. Transmission and engine utilize same oil from crankcase.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Paul

If you where to go to the VMC you would find allot of oil threads more then one person could read. I use Vic oil I know it works and have no clutch slip. The oil in a Victory bike is for the transmission and for cooling I like to use a oil that was designed with that in mind. If you want want to try Castrol my want to wait till you get back from your trip. If the clutch starts to slip that would make for a long ride. That is my 2 pennys worth.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Mark (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dan View Post
My concern is how it interacts with the clutch plates. Transmission and engine utilize same oil from crankcase.
Thats a good point Dan. I'll have to look into that some more.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Pat (MN)

20,000 miles on my '99 with Amsoil, and 70,000 on my '02 using Amsoil. Zero problems...