Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Dean

Belt squawk?

When riding 2-up and passing through a dip where the suspension compresses, my '07 Kingpin lets out get a squawk! sound. I'm undecided if it's like an upset domestic goose, a mad tundra swan type thing, or more of a startled snow goose squawk. It's done this for the 5 years I've owned it. I'm guessing the belt rubs on the belt guard or something like that. The rear wheel has been off at least 3 times, I've adjusted belt tension and centered the belt on the rear pulley a couple times. Right now the belt tension is set pretty tight, maybe tighter than spec, does not seem to matter. I have not seen evidence of rubbing on the belt. Last year I installed a Progressive Suspension rear shock which had no effect. Any ideas what causes the squawk?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteamn View Post
When riding 2-up and passing through a dip where the suspension compresses, my '07 Kingpin lets out get a squawk! sound. I'm undecided if it's like an upset domestic goose, a mad tundra swan type thing, or more of a startled snow goose squawk. It's done this for the 5 years I've owned it. I'm guessing the belt rubs on the belt guard or something like that. The rear wheel has been off at least 3 times, I've adjusted belt tension and centered the belt on the rear pulley a couple times. Right now the belt tension is set pretty tight, maybe tighter than spec, does not seem to matter. I have not seen evidence of rubbing on the belt. Last year I installed a Progressive Suspension rear shock which had no effect. Any ideas what causes the squawk?
Have you had the pulley cover off? Mine has slapped that a few times.

Watch the tight belt - that can be hard on wheel bearings.

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

John Ritter, the one still living.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteamn View Post
I think Joe had this same problem with his King Pin. Best guess the belt is rubbing on the belt guard at the engine on the top of the belt. The ribs across the belt make a snow goose sound. You could try to set your preload on the shock. I know Joe will have more on what he did. Oh I hear White socks help?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Joe

Yup, had the same problem with The Dark Night ('07 KP). It's the top of the belt rubbing against the front pulley cover. When the suspension compresses, the belt brushes up against the cover and makes the Chirp. Here are your alternatives:
  1. Increase the Preload on the shock (the Penske and Progressive versions are a LOT easier to do this with)
  2. You and your passenger lose a lot of weight (seeing you, this may not be an option! )
  3. Live with it and carefully watch the belt for wear marks - this is what I did and with the notable exception of another issue causing belt failure, it wasn't really an issue)
  4. Don't ride with a passenger
  5. Buy a new bike!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGopher View Post
  1. You and your passenger lose a lot of weight (seeing you, this may not be an option! )
  2. Buy a new bike!
I noticed Joe didn't mention anything about your passenger - what are you trying to say Joe?

and - I would prefer:
...Buy ANOTHER (in addition to) bike

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59

Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Bruce (MN)

I've had this issue in the past. Most recently I heard it chirp and whistle badly one day and subsequently disappeared. I'm guessing maybe the bike getting wet may have caused it?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCruiser View Post
I've had this issue in the past. Most recently I heard it chirp and whistle badly one day and subsequently disappeared. I'm guessing maybe the bike getting wet may have caused it?
That could be the case if it was a one-time thing. If it occurs frequently, in most cases it's a belt alignment issue.

As far as I know, the issue Dean is talking about occurs only with the '07 KP model. Might have been Vegas as well, but I don't recall ever hearing about it.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Dean

OK, thanks for the input. I will crank up the preload on the rear shock a little bit and then go back to not worrying about it. And I'll recheck my belt and make sure it's not too tight.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 AM
Rick

I've also heard of people relieving the inside top of the pulley cover by grinding down the top rear post.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I've also heard of people relieving the inside top of the pulley cover by grinding down the top rear post.
This would work, you just need to be careful about going to far through the material. It's one of three areas that the pulley cover is attached to so if you go to deep, it might cause an issue.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM
Dean

I'll check the service manual to find out how much I'd need to remove to get at the front pulley cover. Probably need to remove all the exhaust and maybe the right floorboard. I could probably find something better to do with my time.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Joe

Yup, you would need to remove the mufflers and loosen the head pipes enough to move them out of the way while you remove the pulley cover. Not a terrible job, but it can be if the mufflers are a PITA to get off...
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGopher View Post
Not a terrible job, but it can be if the mufflers are a PITA to get off...
Every time I have had to remove exhaust components it turns into a PITA. I always seem to think tightening something down just right.....then give it a little more just for good measure. Especially with exhaust so it seals better - ya know.

"Is it tight?...yup...ah..let's see here....just one more little bit here... errruah ..ah - there - now it's goot-n-tight!"

Except with Victory oil drain plugs and wheel bearings - I always use a torque wrench for those

Johnny Ritz & #434
VMC #59