View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Rob (MN)

The cable should be lubed too. This helps prrvent binding and wear on the plastic coating that covers the cable itself. I usually put a few drops of oil in each time.
My sources say 100% synthetic engine oil works best and they fasion a funnel out of a plastic bag to aid it getting the oil in. I haven't done this method, because it only takes a few drops and it starts coming out the bottom in just a few minutes.

There is no reason for a clutch cable to break anywhere else except at the ends. As I said earlier, what happens is if the barrel doesn't rotate the cable gets bent back and forth and fatigues the wires and they break. Just like a paper clip bent back and forth a few times.

Another point I should make. If you haven't been lubricating the lever parts. The barrel wears down and becomes smaller, then wears a narrow notch in the lever. After you replace the cable and put in a new barrel, it might not rotate smoothly even with good moly grease. You may want to consider replacing the lever itself.