View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Connie (MN)

Just back online and seeing this... a couple of thoughts after my trip to Alaska a few years ago:
  • Randy and I averaged about 500 miles/day in Alaska and 700/day in Canada.
  • Our trip was 2-1/2 weeks, but we also went to Fairbanks and Valdez.
  • The Cassier Highway from Hyder to Watson Lake is spectacular.
  • Avoid Fraser Lake and any hotel/motel you may find in that town. Stay in Smithers instead (west of Prince George, BC).
  • Buckshot Betty's (west of Beaver Creek just before you cross into Alaska) was a great stop. Suggest renting a little cabin out in the back, but they also have rooms. Good food in the restaurant, too.
  • Would suggest spending an overnight in Homer instead of a day trip. The road there and back is one-lane and busy. Plus Homer itself is worth a little extra time. Find a hilltop overlooking Kachemak Bay at sunset, then end the night at the Salty Dawg.
  • Homer was our "turnaround point and we rode to Whittier (look up the Whittier Tunnel) and took a high-speed ferry to Valdez. It was a big highlight. Valdez is considered the Little Switzerland of Alaska and scenery is spectacular.
  • Would also recommend Northern Rockies Lodge on Muncho Lake. We stayed there on our way back and loved it.

Our whole trip was full of highlights. I hope you guys have a great time!

Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Good meeting tonight with Matt, Maria, Roy & Shelly talking through the high level itinerary.

6 days: MSP > Anchorage
Day Trip: Anchorage > Homer >Anchorage
Day Trip: Anchorage > Fairbanks passing by Denali
7 days: Fairbanks > MSP via Jasper & Banff
~7230 miles over 15 days

Thanks to Johnny Ritz and Rick for showing up and hanging out!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
-Abraham Lincoln