Twin Cities Victory Riders

Twin Cities Victory Riders (http://TCVR.us/messages/index.php)
-   Write To Ride (http://TCVR.us/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Call your representative to support this bill (http://TCVR.us/messages/showthread.php?t=5941)

Sparky_Bill 01-08-2015 06:50 PM

Call your representative to support this bill

Rep. Steve Drazkowski introduces anti-motorcycle profiling bill
http://kmsp.m0bl.net/r/22elkg #MyFOX9

waynes 01-09-2015 09:58 AM

I surely will and so will my River Riders ABATE members. We've been pushing for such a bill for years. :action35:

Sparky_Bill 02-03-2015 09:23 PM

Here is some more info.

Minnesota State Reps. Steve Drazkowski (R-Mazeppa), Cindy Pugh (R-Chanhassen), John Petersburg (R-Waseca), Jim Newberger (R-Becker), Greg Davids (R-Preston) and Jim Nash (R-Waconia) have introduced a bill to prevent motorcyclist profiling.

Take Action
Please ask your representative today to support H.F. 59.

Minnesota H.F. 59 would prohibit law enforcement officers from using “the fact that a person rides a motorcycle or wears motorcycle-related accouterments as a factor in deciding stop and question, take enforcement action, arrest, or search a person or vehicle.”

It would also require law enforcement agencies to develop a statewide model training policy to reduce and eliminate motorcycle profiling.

“Many motorcyclists never experience profiling and most police officers do not profile. This bill would provide that riders enjoy the same protections as other motorists and never have to experience profiling,” said Wayne Allard, vice president of government relations at the American Motorcyclist Association.

If you are not yet an AMA member, please join the AMA to help us fight efforts to restrict responsible motorized recreation. More members means more clout against our opponents, and your support will help us fight for your riding rights – on the road, trail, racetrack, and in the halls of government. To join, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

Johnny Ritz 02-03-2015 09:49 PM

First, you know I would support a bill like this.

But have a question, Aren't there already anti-profiling laws that should cover this, only if they were enforced?

Am not trying to start a ravishing debate here - looking for more info.
We pass new bills everyday, many turn into law. The law books continue to grow, but it seems enforcement of laws already passed into law; don't get enforced? Why?

Joe Gopher 02-04-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ritz (Post 55077)
First, you know I would support a bill like this.

But have a question, Aren't there already anti-profiling laws that should cover this, only if they were enforced?

Am not trying to start a ravishing debate here - looking for more info.
We pass new bills everyday, many turn into law. The law books continue to grow, but it seems enforcement of laws already passed into law; don't get enforced? Why?

That's a great question John!

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I haven't experienced any profiling on my bike. In fact, most cops are pretty cool to bikers and I have even been given a pass once or twice when I was getting a little, ahem, aggressive with the throttle.

I will send a note to my rep though. Although I have a feeling he is pretty tired of hearing from me and may have me blocked...

KillerX 02-04-2015 08:44 AM

Bill, what's up with that list? I didn't see any names with a D in front of them?

Thumper 02-05-2015 06:16 AM

Really, Kyle? You had to stick a nickel in him? ;)

Meth is still a huge problem in the US. Sadly, a fair amount of the issue meth issue in the upper Midwest is related to MC Clubs/Gangs. Even the guy (David Winters) from the Wednesday city wide manhunt has a strong Meth / Biker Gang connection.

Is the ability to profile a useful tool to law enforcement? and how often has it been abused?

How many of us in the TCVR have been profiled?

Schamby 02-05-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 55092)
How many of us in the TCVR have been profiled?

I have been but only by the lady cops.:SouthPark

KillerX 02-05-2015 12:25 PM

Of course I did.
I've been pulled over 3 times in 36+ years of riding(while on a bike. Not gonna get into car numbers).
Never received a ticket.

I think this comes from the practice in some states of motorcycle only checkpoints.

Crimsonaro 02-05-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerX (Post 55101)
I think this comes from the practice in some states of motorcycle only checkpoints.

Hm. Would weigh stations then be considered profiling against big rigs? LOL That's a smart ass joke, but I wonder if that could someday be considered true. And I also wonder if those states have a legitimate reason for motorcycle only checkpoints.

Profiling can be used as either harassment or a tool for law enforcement in my tiny perception of it. I'm all for the bill if it helps those that attempt to keep us all safe and enforce the laws learn the different between harassment profiling and profiling as a tool for their job. I'm just not sure I'm clear on how that bill will help. That political mumbo jumbo is often over my head. Is it a hot button topic for them to secure a segment of votes or a legitimate effort to help law enforcement know to not profile to the point of harassment?

Perhaps someone with a better political mind then mine explain that better. (or maybe I should just email that to my rep.)

And I seem to only get profiled when I'm speeding or roll through a stop sign. oh wait.... nm.

Joe Gopher 02-05-2015 02:05 PM

Kyle -

Were the motorcycle only checkpoints in states that mandate safety checks when you renew tags?

KillerX 02-05-2015 04:30 PM

No Joe, they were used like DUI check points except they only made bikes go thru them, then fish for a reason to further detain. In the end I suppose the only ones arrested deserved it, but seems like a huge waste of resources compared to amount of arrests.

If you google motorcycle only checkpoints you can find a lot of info for both sides of the issue.
There is a bill in U.S. Senate now to stop moc.