Twin Cities Victory Riders

Twin Cities Victory Riders (http://TCVR.us/messages/index.php)
-   Tech Tips & Questions (http://TCVR.us/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   CCT belt chirp (http://TCVR.us/messages/showthread.php?t=7312)

stillsteamn 12-03-2018 01:25 PM

CCT belt chirp

My uncle has a 2016 CCT with 31K miles. He has had belt chirp problems the whole time. He has returned it to the dealership in Mitchell, SD a few times I believe and they adjust the belt but he says the chirp returns within 1500 miles. Bar soap on the sides of the belt help temporarily. Does anyone have a more permanent solution?

Joe Gopher 12-04-2018 09:05 AM

He either needs to do it himself, or take it to a shop that does. most shops will just use the alignment guides on the side of the swingarm and then call it good if the belt deflection is right.

This is the process I have used countless times and don't have any issues. Get the tension right using the deflection tool and then use the marks as a guide (use the same mark on each side as a starting point). Lock the rear wheel down, but it doesn't have to be at TQ spec at this point. Turn the wheel forward and make sure the belt tracks; make adjustments to the set-screws at the end of the swingarm as necessary; rinse and repeat until the belt tracks the same all the way around. It can be close to the outer or inner edge of the pulley, but shouldn't touch. And don't worry about the tracking in reverse, it's only the forward direction that matters. If this doesn't cure the squeal, there have been cases where either of the pulley's, or the belt have issues. This is very rare, however.

Schamby 12-05-2018 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeGopher (Post 70623)
He either needs to do it himself, or take it to a shop that does. most shops will just use the alignment guides on the side of the swingarm and then call it good if the belt deflection is right.

This is the process I have used countless times and don't have any issues. Get the tension right using the deflection tool and then use the marks as a guide (use the same mark on each side as a starting point). Lock the rear wheel down, but it doesn't have to be at TQ spec at this point. Turn the wheel forward and make sure the belt tracks; make adjustments to the set-screws at the end of the swingarm as necessary; rinse and repeat until the belt tracks the same all the way around. It can be close to the outer or inner edge of the pulley, but shouldn't touch. And don't worry about the tracking in reverse, it's only the forward direction that matters. If this doesn't cure the squeal, there have been cases where either of the pulley's, or the belt have issues. This is very rare, however.

I do the same thing if it is all done right you can let go of the bars and the bike will go straight.

stillsteamn 12-05-2018 02:59 PM

Anyone know the belt deflection spec on the 2016 CCT, with the rear wheel in the air? Thanks, that's the same method I've used with my KP and it worked.

Joe Gopher 12-05-2018 05:34 PM

The spec is 11MM of deflection at 10lbs of pressure. Basically, if it's between 1/2 in. and an inch you should be good.